Repulsion-Induction Motor / Drum Switch Wiring Woe...

Just wanted to show the new wiring installed for anyone following...
IMG_2449.jpg
Drum Switch with crimp terminals and markers.
IMG_2453.jpg
The old cloth/rubber insulation on motor leads were fraying so I coated them with "liquid electrical tape".
IMG_2457.jpg
Crimp on eyelets screwed to the lugs, as per original connections.
IMG_2458.jpg
Even used some old school friction tape for the outer layer.
IMG_2459.jpgIMG_2464.jpg
All motor, switch and line inter connections are made in the junction box.
IMG_2465.jpg
I had to make a cover for the junction box, it was a small victory for my scrap bin as the piece of stainless was the perfect size, no cutting needed, I also remember my helper rolling his eyes when I told him to save it... Ha!
RepMot1a.jpeg
The motor leads as attached to the switch terminals.

Last edited:
Very nice job, bravo! It should be noted, by others reading this, that the reversing action of motors of this type differs from the more modern
capacitor-start types and could actually cause a chuck to come loose very suddenly if care is not taken. Ciao.
Mark

I beg to differ with most who posted on this; I am familiar with repulsion induction motors, and the only thing that can be done by connecting the motor wires is voltage, either 110 or 220 volts; to reverse these motors, the brush holders are shifted, there should be an access plate on the back end of the motor that exposes the brush holder and there would be a pointer and two marks, for CW and CCW rotation.
That is what I thought also. I was reading this post and was a bit bewildered because I have run across 2 repulsion motors in the past and it was not an easy thing to reverse the rotation. It can be done and on the easier ones there is a lever which is switched. On the other I had, I had to rewire internal wiring and it was a bit of a pain.
In any case, I'm glad you got yours working good for you.

This must be an unusual type that isn't too common, fortunately for Ed
Mark

This must be an unusual type that isn't too common, fortunately for Ed
Mark
Maybe. FWIW...This is the older article I referenced when I was playing around with my Repulsion Motors trying to figure out how to reverse them. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...on-induction-motor-reversing-rotation-260711/

Pretty good article with lots of pics and references. In any case, like the old saying goes....I learn something new every day. And as far as that goes...I tend to learn something new whenever I have to work on an electrical motor. An expert I am not.

Back