Repurposed slip wrench

If anyone on here has ever owned / maintained an in-board engine boat you may have, used, and or seen one of these adjustable slip / lock nut wrench. They are "used" to adjust the packing nuts on the engine shaft... note "used" in quotes... they generally do not work, especially on older saltwater boats, and most folks generally resort to using pipe wrenches etc.. i have personally seen one these come flying out of the bilge accompanied by a stream of expletives as it landed in the bayou,,

Anyways i bought one for my first in-board boat several years ago and since i never throw tools away, regardless of how useless i still have it. Turns out it makes a fairly decent adjustable pin wrench... it really is pretty easy, i just drilled and tapped the jaws out for a couple 12-24 screws and now this tool actually functions...

richwrench.jpg

Years ago I inherited a tool box full of tools from my Father in law and it had a wrench like that one never knew what it was for but kept it anyways never throw out a tool but now I know thanks. Rick

Nice, I suppose. Don't the "spanner" wrenches with two arms with a pin at the end of each arm, and a central pivot for both arms at the handle, get this done without the slack induced by the gear and track/ways? Hydraulic cylinder gland/packing nut type wrenches, I mean. Personally, I can see why it came out of the bilge at a high rate of speed.
That said, I still have the "yankee" screwdriver my dad had, and all the bits to go with. Aint used it much lately, but I have not pitched it , either:eek 2:

Home Depot is closing out their stock of these wrenches. Originally about $12. Bought one a couple weeks ago for ~$6, and another one a few days ago for ~$3. They can be tremendously improved by replacing the original ¼" carriage bolt and wing nut with 5/16", and then machining the jaw faces parallel and perpendicular.

I really like your idea of adding pins!

PS to westerner - the wing nut does a very good job of locking the setting and firmly holding the movable jaw (especially after replacing the bolt).

Here's my original post:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/spanner-wrench-for-er32-collet-chuck-flats.73219/

Last edited:
Back