Repurposing a Broken Grinding Wheel

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I ordered this grinding wheel on ebay, and it arrived in the condition in the photo. The vendor gave me a full refund and told me to just keep the product. It came with free shipping, so I'm out nothing, but I'm wondering if the pieces might be useful for anything else. Hand sharpening, honing or any other use is new territory to me, so any suggestions are welcome. The disc is an 8" x 1" 80 grit aluminum oxide grinding wheel.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

IMG_2255.jpg

I use broken grinding wheel fragments to dress intact wheels.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can a fragment be used to dress the same grit and composition? The replacement is also aluminum oxide 80 grit 8" x 1".

Regards

Can a fragment be used to dress the same grit and composition?
It works fine for me, but it’s just for the bench grinder, where I mainly want to even out the perimeter of the wheel. I use a diamond stylus in a holder for the surface grinder and move the wheel across the diamond.

Reactions: tjb
I've broken old used wheels to use as large polishing sticks for long shapes. Easily conforms to the shape, and once matches shape, it lasts a long time.

As a side note, surface grinding wheels can easily be bandsawed to desired size/shape with a worn out saw blade.

I use to expose diamond on wheels After getting to run true.
We used something like that to dress diamond saws when we used them for cutting composites that included softer metals like copper. Think molded epoxy integrated circuit packages. The molding compound has glass filler particles but the packaging system also has a copper lead frame, so the copper would smear over the diamond particles and halt the cutting process (that's why the dressing block was periodically applied). The diamond saw had NO problem cutting through the ceramic dressing block. They were slow-speed saws so we hand-fed the dressing blocks into the blade -- the main thing was to go straight in and out. If the block was twisted it could be grabbed by the blade and stall the saw, sometimes breaking or putting a nasty kink in the blade. A blade with a kink it it would rapidly fail after that.

Reactions: tjb
Back