Request: tapered sleeve

jwmelvin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all. Although this part is an example of why I want (nay, need!) a lathe, I do not yet have one. My current thinking is that even if I order one now, it may be longer than I'd like to wait for this part.

I'm in northern Virginia, but the part is small enough that I'm not sure location matters. I'm happy to pay a reasonable amount for the part.

It's a tapered sleeve, made of steel, to seat a ball joint in an aluminum control arm. The ones that the control arm came with are entirely wrong and prevent correct attachment of a ball joint. I have tried to adequately draw and dimension the part. I tried to be clear on tolerances, though it is possible some could be relaxed if necessary (for example no need for even good concentricity between OD and tapered ID.

Anyhow, please let me know if this is something you could help with.

Thank you,
Jason

Attachments

• civic FLBJ sleeve Drawing rev.A.pdf
    107.8 KB · Views: 297
I'm not pro with the lathe (I've only done a handful of small projects), but this definitely seems easy enough... If someone else who is better at this comes along, feel free to take them instead :)

I currently don't have any steel stock big enough, so that would have to be ordered (which might change the delivery time). I typically order stock through ebay, as there is often ~1ft long pieces there.

Cost wise, I don't need to make ANYTHING on this, so if you get the materials (plus a bit extra material for my stock pile) and pay for shipping, I think I could make a solid attempt.

Likely would need 1 1/8" stock for this.

I think I could make a solid attempt.
Thank you so much for responding. As it turns out, late last night I saw a 10x22 on Craigslist not too far away, so if all goes according to plan, I will get it tonight. Always good to have a first project in mind! If it doesn't work out, though, I will be in touch. It's very nice of you to offer. (Also, I grew up in Portland, OR. :) )

jwmelvin,
Welcome to HM!!
I'm glad you found a lathe.
Should you have questions, then please give the site a shout.
There is no question to simple.
Regardless, while huge fun there are hazards associated with shop work.
Please operate your machine tools safely.

Daryl
MN

Thank you so much for responding. As it turns out, late last night I saw a 10x22 on Craigslist not too far away, so if all goes according to plan, I will get it tonight. Always good to have a first project in mind! If it doesn't work out, though, I will be in touch. It's very nice of you to offer. (Also, I grew up in Portland, OR. :) )

Great, glad to hear it! I'm likely no better than you at the lathe stuff, if I can always give it a shot if you need. Good luck!

I would suggest using a tool steel a2 or 41-40 they would stand up to any pressure needed . If it's a hammer type I'd harden it. And draw to straw .

I would suggest using a tool steel a2 or 41-40 they would stand up to any pressure needed . If it's a hammer type I'd harden it. And draw to straw .
I'm not familiar with "hammer" type. I'm trying to imagine the failure mode, and I suppose it would be tearing the flange off the top, as there isn't a lot of material connecting the flange to the bore. I suppose I could do some quick calculations to rough in on the strength. Maybe I will make one out of mild steel first, then see how I feel about a stronger version. Either way, I'm pretty confident it will be a big improvement over what I was running before, which is ill-fitting steel-ish part that came with the control arms.

Well, I did it. I now have a Grizzly 10x22 (G0602) that I need to set up and start getting to know. I will start a thread for that and this part separately. Thank you again for the help here.

Back