Rescued two flat spaces

Being one who prefers to reuse and recycle whenever possible (read:junkyard dog) it's a constant struggle. I've learned to keep just the pieces that are useful but they take up space and storage where it doesn't rust and turn to junk is tricky. My dad has always been a borderline hoarder and his wife is a full on hoarder. So they are a bad combo. I noticed when he gave up being the park handyman he tipped into hoarder territory. A mess is one thing but keeping and storing stuff that truly has no use is an illness.

I would have liked some background on the guy at the estate sale as I think he was like my dad. Being the unofficial handyman in a 55+ mobile home park everybody knew him and there is a pretty constant turnover as the old guys pass and the wife has his stuff to get rid of, so they gave it to dad. He has 4-5 of everything in buckets and jammed into a little shed. I already had to go through a bench that was a total heap along side of the mobile that needed to be gone through because they were replacing the mobile. It had been a pile for 25yrs under an awning and only maybe 2% of the whole pile 10' long was worth saving. It totally broke his heart for me to toss everything but he knows he's coming to the end of the road. He'll be 90 on the 30th of this month. I realize when I give up actually doing stuff I'm in danger of being a hoarder as folks have started offering me stuff. So far I've been able to resist......

This resonates with me so much as I had to do the clean up with my dad when they moved.
I had no idea that a 12’x12’ she’d could hold four full size truck loads of stuff to be recycled/landfilled.
Eight large coffee cans full of misc screws, nuts, bolts, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Messy and unorganized is one thing, and fun to poke fun at. Hoarding is not this. I have some friends who have relatives so cursed. My grandmother was a teenager on the farm during the Depression, and fought the "hoarder" mentality for the rest of her life. My condolences to those cleaning up after these poor people, and my apologies to any offended by my "humor".

I certainly took it as humor. And I probably led this thread astray into something more somber than I should have.

There are two sides of the coin, we here can respect that, and take it as it's meant....

:grin: Lately , I can't find a flat surface ANYWHERE in the house , basement or garage . My stuff reproduces this time of year . :grin:

My SO won't allow clutter especially on flat surfaces. So none of my stuff comes in the house unless I want her to tidy. And if she does tidy it we won't find it until we move. I think it's a good system as she's a minimalist and she tidy's and I do the heavy cleaning. I think there is an odd gravitational thing going on when something gets on a flat surface. It just attracts more.

Back