Rescued two flat spaces

What do you do for rust? It's nice being close to the ocean but dealing with rust and everything I have being made out of cast iron or steel is a pain. I've got all my machine tools under covers that my SO made and keep the tables protected with Fluid Film. But my welding table still has its black or blue look it had when I fabbed it and as long as I don't grind it seems to not rust.

What do you do for rust? It's nice being close to the ocean but dealing with rust and everything I have being made out of cast iron or steel is a pain. I've got all my machine tools under covers that my SO made and keep the tables protected with Fluid Film. But my welding table still has its black or blue look it had when I fabbed it and as long as I don't grind it seems to not rust.

Not specific to welding tables but I had tremendous success removing years of crud, rust, paint etc from the top of my Unisaw by using a maroon non-woven belt on my 3x21 belt sander.
Top is almost like a mirror now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have not ever seen a non woven belt for a belt sander. Sounds like a good idea. Where did you find one?

I got 2 flat spaces back in order today. What a relief, it's so easy to put stuff down while doing projects, and they stack up.

I'll take care of those open flat spaces for ya Mike . :encourage:

I'm hoping Dave, I use the 3M rolock discs when it's this bad for rust.

Have not ever seen a non woven belt for a belt sander. Sounds like a good idea. Where did you find one?
I'm with Nutfarmer, where did you get the belt? I've got a belt sander that would be a good use for as I do little wood. Sounds like it would be cheaper than one of those drum type sanders too!

I bought mine from these good folks.
They are local and I picked them up.

They were very snug on my Ryobi sander and they basically wore themselves into place.

US folks might be better served here:

This is my saw top when I bought it.
e68c55f6e6698bae66f14a4b64aec1f6.jpg

And after about five minutes with the non woven belt.
2c7a231b8e2eedcf6972d6d1c581073c.jpg

I spent about 20 mins in total and the difference is amazing. Some paste wax and material now sails across the top.
<threadhijack off :) >

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No thread jack, great information.

Back