Resharps

You resharpen your own endmills? Yes, several of us do.

I am needing 2 hss mill heads touched up and then i do have some carbide ones that could use a touch as well.

I am needing 2 hss mill heads touched up and then i do have some carbide ones that could use a touch as well.
If someone nearby has T&C grinder you're in luck, lots of homes shops do. I'd search a few forums though, before hitting a commercial establishment. Small quantities are a premium.
Finding an auction is best start, getting them in bulk, you'll reap already sharps and enough to bargain with a job shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a decent amount to be touched up already. I dont really wanna spend money on more endmills since i have quite a bit already that are pretty sharp. My main thing is the 2 hss face mills i want sharpened. Id rather not go to a commercial establishment right now either.

If you are set with modicum of equipment, this can be done at 'home'. At bare minimum, this gets you in ball park;
1] You'll need capability to index appropriately (number of teeth/ 360°)
2] Arrange a nod and tilt (compound angles) capable fixture, or milling head.
3] Fit an arbor and cup wheel, and dress said wheel.
4] Cover the ways with news print or kitchen paper/ plastic wrap [and shield sensitive adjacent surfaces].
5] Have some means to impart mist to grinding with coolant.

There are reasonably priced endmill fixtures using 5C collets that have the angles and indexing built in.
Diameter of facemill isn't mentioned, but a stub arbor in a collet is completely 'doable'. Clamp to table, or with enough clearance in vise.

If a broke down cutter halted work in the middle of the night, this description is exactly what I'd pursue.
And why I'm building up a tool grinding area.

Last edited:
Since we're on the subject....I'm on the look-out for a tool and cutter grinder and have even thought about ordering the castings for a Quorn. I've got a PILE of cutters that could use a re-grind that I've bought at auctions and various other places. Does anybody have the contact info on a company that does re-grinds? Preferably one that somebody has actually used and can vouch for. I doubt the smaller sizes are cost effective to have reground, but I've got endmills up to 2 inches that could use it. I've also got some fairly large side-cutters that could use it as well.

Since we're on the subject....I'm on the look-out for a tool and cutter grinder and have even thought about ordering the castings for a Quorn. I've got a PILE of cutters that could use a re-grind that I've bought at auctions and various other places. Does anybody have the contact info on a company that does re-grinds? Preferably one that somebody has actually used and can vouch for. I doubt the smaller sizes are cost effective to have reground, but I've got endmills up to 2 inches that could use it. I've also got some fairly large side-cutters that could use it as well.
Martin model sells casting kits for a Quorn. I have looked at them. I need the same thing as you. Either a contact to someone to send them to or even someone on here! Id rather give someone on this forum my money over others

Back