Respect Compressed Air

There used to be a picture floating around the net, that had a ruptured air compressor on the roof of a two story apartment building. The story I think was that the tank had ruptured, and flown over a block. Just Google air compressor failures, and you will get a new respect for the power contained in an air tank.

You can't just go by training, or "Thats the way we been doing it forever". Back in 1980, when I went through the Army truck drivers school at Ft Dix, NJ, They had a bunch of us changing tires on the two piece split rims, with a pry bar, sledge hammers, and an air hose. Now I know how dumb that was, but back then, it was just the way it was done. Reading reports over the years, it is obvious that the Army does not learn from others mishaps. It seemed like every installation had to have a death to get them to change.

We could also discuss the stupidity of using PVC pipe for shop air lines. There is still way too many that think it is ok.

Five years ago yesterday I was going to tech school in St. Cloud when the Verso paper mill had an explosion. It was an air compressor that overheated. Killed one person and shut the plant down permanently.

These stories are just downright scary!
When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to discuss people horsing around and injuring someone with compressed air. I remember reading about two occurrences of horseplay with a air hose. In both cases some idiot took the air hose and shoved it at someone's rear end. IIRC one was at a high school and the other was in a factory setting. One recipient of this prank died and the other had serious internal injuries. I don't know if the new style blow-guns limiting the amount of air will prevent these injuries or not. I learned way back when (in the olden days:rolleyes:) that shop air is dirty and full of bacteria, that a nasty infection can be gotten by blowing the air into (and under) the skin.

Dan, that's a bad one - and probably why it's a get-your-cards-and-get-out here in England (and probably most of Europe) and would get worker and company a prosecution and big fines if caught / an injury resulted. How long does it take to unscrew the valve core, 20 seconds?

Dave H. (the other one)

Dave, not that it makes it ant better, but the reason for doing it that way is that the core seizes in the stem. The valve stem is also the tire pressure sensor and is aluminum. The valve core is steel. dissimilar metals and they corrode and break if you try to remove them. The cost to replace one and program to car is $275 US. All it takes is one time for the cost of trying to save the customer that cost is very high. I consider my self very fortunate, it could have been much worse.

This past year I've gotten into HPA (High Pressure Air) rifles. These are NOT your old Daisey Red Ryder BB gun... My guns currently charge to 2000 and 3000 psi. My storage tank gets filled to 4500. You're darn right I respect those things, they're bombs waiting to explode. But dang if they aren't fun to use! One simply needs to pay attention to what you're doing, and do all the steps in the correct order, no exceptions.

I did that with a 12" machine gear. It went through a block wall...

Back in 1980, when I went through the Army truck drivers school at Ft Dix, NJ, They had a bunch of us changing tires on the two piece split rims, with a pry bar, sledge hammers, and an air hose.
I knew a guy back in the '70's who lost a friend that worked at a tire shop. He was changing a tire on an old-style snap ring wheel. Did something a little too hastily, and the snap ring blew off. Took most of his head with it. Not too many tire shops will even touch those things anymore.

It's no mystery why OSHA forbids cleaning with compressed air unless it is regulated below 30 psi. I prefer a shop vac and a chip brush...

After reading this thread, I'd say y'all are lucky. "Learning by doing" has some serious limitations in this case.

My first day in the vocational school in machine shop we were worned about air pressure and it's power. Our shop time was book time before machine time. So we had pictures of injuries and missing parts . Stands out when it's seen. I keep my compressor set at 125 with 90 to the lines and restart at 80. Blow guns are all reduced nozzle types. Best thing to do on any compressor tank is have a drain added to where you can blow off moisture daily . I piped mine out side with a ball valve pet cocks are boys toys use the ball valves .

I know about exploding compressors. I had about a 25 year old oil less CH compressor and tank. That sucker was noisy so I mounted it to a lean to outside. Several months ago I was working and shooting video and the tank exploded. Video attached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back