Restoration Of A Lathe Of Unknown Brand ( Completed)

Just a quick update:
The bushings are out using the locknut technique. Thank you, stevejw! :)
There a little tongue, making sure the slot is always turned upward toward oiling hole. Also, looks like someone was boring through the oil hole, and hit the bushing...retards...

Also, I took on cleaning of the composite slide, cross slide, saddle and ways. All but the ways turned out ok, but the ways are too heavily damaged by rust. I guess i'll have to go the electrolysis way :/

As you will see the tool clamp is something ancient, I'm considering buying a QCTP, cause this one is ridiculous. Also, the non-machined parts of the cross-slide were painted with some devilish color that doesn't want to come off. I even tried wire brush. Should i just paint over it, or should i use a hand-held grinder with emery-paper? I'm afraid i don't damage the machined parts :/

There's an angle protractor on the cross slide, but there is no notch on the composite slide to align it with:)

I'm still left with cleaning tail stock and an apron, but that will have to wait until i get back from vacation.
Btw, there is a taper in the spindle, i can't discern if its original or if someone was playing with it... the finish by no means smooth... what do you guys think?

Here are some pictures.
20140620_003436.jpg20140620_003624.jpg20140620_003709.jpg

20140620_003436.jpg 20140620_003624.jpg 20140620_003709.jpg

The tool clamp handle is a bit bent, too.
Excess of testosterone by the previous users? :biggrin:

The tool clamp is typical of the type used on several English lathes,like Myfords and old Drummonds. You may find that the centers are too low on this lathe to permit use of a QCTP. This is because the slide is tall enough that the cutters are supposed to rest right on the compound,or slightly shimmed up.

The tool clamp is typical of the type used on several English lathes,like Myfords and old Drummonds. You may find that the centers are too low on this lathe to permit use of a QCTP. This is because the slide is tall enough that the cutters are supposed to rest right on the compound,or slightly shimmed up.

Thank you for that information, I will most certainly look into that. Does that mean I'm condemned to use this, or is there some other solution?

I'd just try the current tool post as is for a while and see how you get on with it. QCTPs are convenient for sure, but it's not like you'll be making a living off this lathe :)

As for the paint, I've heard that electrolysis is very effective for removing stubborn paint. Might be worth a try, especially if you need to do the bed too.

Maybe the way to go is tangential tool holder? Though they're pretty pricy....

Also, this looks pretty interesting...
http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/ToolHolders.html

especially round qctp and toolholders and also retracting toolholder for thread making :)

Last edited:
Well, here I am again, and I've hit another snag.
This is the last part of the lathe that is connected to another part. And i don't know how to remove it :(
20140704_201932.jpg20140704_201947.jpg20140704_201958.jpg

Its heavily rusted, has a hole on one side, I tried hitting it with a punch but it didn't budge.... i tried filing off the nipple on the other side, but it looks like there is no pin there at all ?!

Btw, I think this might be some sort of a Fischer lathe, because of certain similarities it has with some of the lathes on this page like knobs and the nuts of the knobs. http://www.lathes.co.uk/fischer/
img18.jpgimg17.jpg

Anyways, since I couldn't do what I wanted, I did what I could.
I've made a bath for electrolysis out of particleboard and put in double layer of thick nylon sheets for waterproofing.
20140704_202043.jpg

I'm going to run it on old computer PSU that I modified.

20140704_202100.jpg

The only thing I'm missing now is a sacrificial electrode, I'm thinking 0.8 or 1mm sheet metal on both long sides and on the bottom. Tell me what you guys think.

That's it for now, I'll keep you posted :)

P.S.
This is what my lathe looks now :D Don't worry, I know where each and every screw goes (I can dismantle and reassemble a laptop, without spare parts ;) )

20140704_212545.jpg

20140704_201932.jpg 20140704_201947.jpg 20140704_201958.jpg img17.jpg img18.jpg 20140704_202043.jpg 20140704_202100.jpg 20140704_212545.jpg

Well, here I am again, and I've hit another snag.
This is the last part of the lathe that is connected to another part. And i don't know how to remove it :(
Its heavily rusted, has a hole on one side, I tried hitting it with a punch but it didn't budge.... i tried filing off the nipple on the other side, but it looks like there is no pin there at all ?!

Maybe the electrolysis bath will allow the pin to move a bit.
If you want to try the mythical Evaporust this Italian eBay shop has it: http://www.ebay.it/itm/271434081548 - there are no indications about international shipping, but you can contact the seller about that.
To see if that pin is a set screw without any slot you can also try to use a punch near the edge, to rotate it.

Nice job on the rebuild so far. I would the tool holder you have for now

Back