Restoration Of My Weiler Lz 280s (imageheavy)

Try rubbing a candle on the edges of the 2 belts. I have a drill press that made a similar noise. The candle wax will lubricate the belt slightly when under pressure and likely get rid of that noise. DO NOT do this to the large belt. This will result in a glazed belt that will slip on the cones.

Paul.

Thanks for all the sugestion guys. Turns out i was in luck! It was in fact the rear cover on the AC motor that touched the fanblades :phew:

Now i wish i had thought of that before i removed everything else, but atleast i had an excuse to clean everything and get a better understanding of the variator as a bonus.
It was just by luck i thought of turning on the motor with everything else removed to see what it sounded like solo.
I also managed to break off a cast iron adjuster i had to grind down and weld back on, so hurrah..

Anyway, i assembled everything back again and made some swarf with a big smile. And from now im focusing on making the last parts ready.
The tailstock needs to be sanded and painted along with a few small bits and pieces.
The crossfeed-screw needs to be straightened or cut and spliced, and a new knob bought.
Make a new knob for the variator adjuster.
And of course finish welding the oil cover and the top cover and paint those aswell.

Here on the first picture is the troublemaker that made an awefull noise :cussing:
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0376.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg

Oh and i mounted a nice 12V lamp with a intergrated converter (230 to 12v) as seen on the images.

I'm having a hard time understanding the purpose of the variator. The flat belt is driving the V-belts through what appears to be a splined shaft with a spring clutch of some sort. I don't get it.
Ray
This was new to me aswell before i aquired the lathe, but i later found out it's quite common in motorcycles, snowmobiles and scooters among many things.
On the Weiler the upper pulley-halfs are forced together with a spring and rides along a spline as you mentioned, where the bottom pulley is adjusted in and out with hydraulics.

Here i found a gifanimation that perhaps shows you the principle.
variatoranimation.gif
Source with explanation: http://www.teamcalamari.com/zuma/variator.html

variatoranimation.gif

Ughhh, I feel silly now. Should have figured that out by looking at it -especially since I've seen it before in other places usually under the name of "vari-drive".

Thanks!

Ray

This was new to me aswell before i aquired the lathe, but i later found out it's quite common in motorcycles, snowmobiles and scooters among many things.
On the Weiler the upper pulley-halfs are forced together with a spring and rides along a spline as you mentioned, where the bottom pulley is adjusted in and out with hydraulics.

Here i found a gifanimation that perhaps shows you the principle.
View attachment 54558
Source with explanation: http://www.teamcalamari.com/zuma/variator.html

Yup they are quite common in snowmobiles and atv's and they call them torque converters. They are very efficient at keeping the machine in the power band of the engine. They are quite common in wood working lathes also, as well as variable speed bridgeport type mills, and on and on, even used in cars too!

"Here on the first picture is the troublemaker that made an awefull noise " {Quote}

Amazing what you find when you are looking for the source of noise!

I've had the same thing happen to me a time or two over the years.

Ken

Nearly done with the two cast iron covers. That was way much work than i would have guessed, but it turned out quite ok.
I got little to no warpage and sandpaper "lapped" (if thats the right term) it down to sit flat again.
Still have to grind off and fill in some minor pockets and bondo and paint them though. But overall im more than happy with the outcome.

IMG_0388.jpg
IMG_0389.jpg
IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg

So i have an issue alligning the tailstock on the X-axis.
Now i have read up on the manual and it indicates the adjustmentscrew but i lack the range of motion to get it where it needs to be.

IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0787.jpg

The handwheel on the tailstock is scewed and has most likley taken a hit when it fell over, but i would not think the cast tailstock has been deformed.

Id say i lack 2-3 mm tops.

Any tips would be great though.

Is the tail stock casting a 2 piece unit? If it is you could just shim it with some brass shim stock.

Back