Restored: 1920's Tabletop Drill Press.

if you hinged one side of your motor to the base---you could just lift the other side of motor to easily change speeds ---and the weight of the motor would tighten your belt tension on the pulleys---you could make a multible step pulley for the motor shaft and easily have any speed ---if you make your hinge on a rod then you could move your motor in or out to align your belt under your upper pulleys to your lower pulley step----this method works very good and is very simple----I have done this with motors and step pulleys on grinders and other machines to make speed changes very quick and easy and inexpensive--just the weight of one side of the motor tightens the belt tension just right----make a 4 step pulley for your motor shaft and then you will have 8 speeds and easy and quick to change-----Dave

I have never seen a drill press like that, very neat. I think the colors are actually perfect for it. Very cool, thanks for sharing. Now I'm going to be on ebay searching for one for myself!

-Steve

Wonderful restoration!

And useful too.

I'll side with Dave Smith's idea of remounting the motor on a hinge to allow for belt easier changes and automatic tensioning.

This is really cool.
Do you have any idea on the date of manufacturer?

Daryl
MN

Edit:
Sorry, I missed the date in the heading.

Last edited:
Back