Restored Atlas 10

HillbillyZ

Registered
Registered
Posted in vintage, but wanted to say hello in the Atlas section as well.
just finished this today. Thanks for having me. I am positive I will have questions.

Attachments

• 1E378F85-2918-4647-B570-99552B963892.jpeg
    1E378F85-2918-4647-B570-99552B963892.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 112
Looks great. Thanks for sharing. What are the model (from nameplate on rear of bed) and serial (right end, top of front way) numbers?

Looks great. Thanks for sharing. What are the model (from nameplate on rear of bed) and serial (right end, top of front way) numbers?
Here is pic of serial number. Was end of way at rear. I am assuming this is an early model due to oval power switch. I would like to know exact model and year if anyone can help with that. There is no model plate on rear. I also assume somewhere in early to mid 1930s?

Attachments

• 6A7B9BD9-F43C-4845-BAB7-E402E0683E8C.jpeg
    6A7B9BD9-F43C-4845-BAB7-E402E0683E8C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Best guess on date of manufacture is mid-1936. it has late legs, later cast change gear cover and crank instead of knob on compound feed screw. But it has the earlier two studs and nuts for the compound swivel. According to several catalogs, the first pintle and square head locking screw compound and milling attachment was at S/N 3970. Tell me the bed length and I can tell you the model number. Length choices are 36", 42", 48" and 54".

Are you saying that the serial number was stamped on top of the rear way?

Correct. Serial number Is stamped in way at rear. Its a 54”
serial # is D3913S as in pic above
thank you

Last edited:
OK Most have been reported as being on the front way. Your model number is 1054. But I would play it safe and call it a 1054D. The A, B and C had the letter in the model number. The D did not but what you got when you ordered a 1054 changed every few months up until the 10F came out, when they changed the model number format to one or two letters (TV, TH, V and H) and two digits. So if yours was a 10F, it would be V54.

I may have misunderstood. If looking at machine the number is stamped on the front way at the rear of the machine. Front meaning closest to you standing in front of machine. I thought you meant front as in by the head. Sorry about that

Forget the nice looking lathe. I am interested on the piece where all of your chucks and centers are stored. Is that shop-built or factory made? Looks like it has little drawers.

It was on ebay. I stared and stared at that piece for weeks. Finally bought it. Horton Machine Company piece. Sucker is handy. Had never seen anything like it before. Thanks for noticing it.

Back