[Read!] Restoring a New Hand Plane to Accuracy

Great thread :)

I went to scrape my Dunlap #6 fore plane, upon the first scrape it was apparent the cast iron was hardened. On the second pass I gave up, not having a carbide scraper I was just chicken scratching.
I think now that you've gone to the trouble of scraping it to tenths, you should blueprint the entire thing. Where the frog meets the sole (both frog and sole, maybe even scrape them) and flatten where the iron rests on the frog. Square the sole opening and adjust the frog accordingly.

Did you do a before test to see how it cut out of the box and sharpened?

Hi Andre, Thank You!
This cast iron was like butter! it cut really easily.
i'll try to get to all the places i can get a scraper into!
I didn't do a test cut out of the box, but i can assure you it wouldn't have been pretty...:eek:

Last edited:
I did make a corny video montage if you're interested take a gander...

Last edited:
The factory grind must have been with a hand held right angle grinder. :}

Daryl
MN

Just for grins and giggles you should reassemble the plane iorn to see if the lever cap puts enough pressure on the body to pull it out of plane. You may have to do some tweeking with it under tension.

Jake Parker

That's a great point!
And I thought lathe crossfeeds were complicated.

Daryl
MN

That's a great point!
And I thought lathe crossfeeds were complicated.

Daryl
MN

Once you understand the concepts at work, how they affect each other, and the relationships they have everything is easy. Now understanding THAT is the tricky part! :)

The factory grind must have been with a hand held right angle grinder. :}

Daryl
MN

:)
this plane may have come off the Chinese assembly line at 4:25pm on a Friday for all i know.
i hope this was a worst case example and everyone else get the hi standard ones :cool:

Nice write up and an excellent exercise for practice.

I've actually got a couple of old planes so I don't even need to go buy one.

Nice write up and an excellent exercise for practice.

I've actually got a couple of old planes so I don't even need to go buy one.

Thank you very much for your kind words.
i'm having a lot of fun .
i hope to see others take my lead and do some scraping themselves.

Cool project... and I will bet that this will not only be the most accurate plane but possibly the most accurate anything ever to come out of a Harbor Freight store :)

Back