Restoring a pre-ww2 southbend lathe

Bansheedave

Registered
Registered
I picked up a 1936 sounthbend 13” lathe from a garage sale recently. It is missing a few parts. Who would be a good source to get parts from? My lathe came from a school and is a basic machine. It does not have a quick change gear originally but it came with one. I believe the previous owner was converting it. Will it be possible to change and what drive screw would i need? Thank you for any help. I added a picture of my lathe.

2BA91583-2CD8-473A-BCAC-102F5D2B8A67.png

Hi and welcome. I'm sure others will be along to provide more insight. Are there more items that came with it that are not in the picture?
I would start the never ending always rechecking and scouring of CL and ebay. I lean on CL more often due to convenience and prices are usually more within the scope of reason to my budget. Regardless, if this is your first lathe let the fun begin!!!

It came with a 4 jaw chuck but I’m missing the correct backing plate to mount it. Came with a lot of tooling and a bunch of gears. That’s pretty much it. I ordered a tail stock off eBay and a few parts to go with it. As far as getting the quick change mounted up, that’s the easy part. The lead screw I’m not sure about or know what i need and that’s if i can even use it on my lathe. I’ll also be pulling the 3 phase motor out and dropping in a single phase replacement. And that leads me to another issue. I am missing the flat belt drive pulley from the motor. I’m not even sure what it looks like or it’s size. I can’t order the belts until i get it.

And thank you for welcoming me. I’ve worked in various machine shops over the years but this is all new to me. Interesting for sure and can’t wait to get it up and running.

I believe it's actually a v-belt pulley and belt from the motor to the larger flat pulley. Sounds strange I know but it was commonly equipped that way from the factory-it works
Mark

Some food for thought, I just purchased and installed a VFD for the first time so that I could run my 3 phase motor on the lathe. It was super easy and I'm no electrician for sure.:eek 2:

Check out the Facebook group south bend lathe buy sell trade. There's a lot of parts on it. That should make a nice machine when finished.

I would buy a vfd but the motor wiring was chopped off. I don’t think it would be worth fixing it.

Hello and welcome!

As another owner of an older lathe, I can appreciate the effort. For the belt, I would suggest trying to get a serpentine belt. When the flat leather belt on mine broke back in the falls, I fitted a serpentine and it behaves like a much different machine now.

Best of luck!

Back