Restoring a pre-ww2 southbend lathe

Hello and welcome!

As another owner of an older lathe, I can appreciate the effort. For the belt, I would suggest trying to get a serpentine belt. When the flat leather belt on mine broke back in the falls, I fitted a serpentine and it behaves like a much different machine now.

Best of luck!
I need to find a drive pulley first. I’m not sure how hard that’s going to be. Thanks for the support

Hi @Bansheedave ,

Welcome to the group!
You got yourself a project right there.

If you have not found it yet we have a "Southbend Downloads" section here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/south-bend.34/
with nearly 500 documents it in.
There are many manuals and brochures that could show you what the original parts looked like, and maybe even some part numbers that could be cast into the replacement parts.

If you do not find anything there suitable for your lathe, post back with the "Catalog Number" and I'll see if I have anything at home.

-brino

Hi @Bansheedave ,

Welcome to the group!
You got yourself a project right there.

If you have not found it yet we have a "Southbend Downloads" section here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/south-bend.34/
with nearly 500 documents it in.
There are many manuals and brochures that could show you what the original parts looked like, and maybe even some part numbers that could be cast into the replacement parts.

If you do not find anything there suitable for your lathe, post back with the "Catalog Number" and I'll see if I have anything at home.

-brino
Thank you very much. I did not know about it yet. I’m at work and haven’t had much time to go threw the forum.

"I believe it's actually a v-belt pulley and belt from the motor to the larger flat pulley. Sounds strange I know but it was commonly equipped that way from the factory-it works"
Mark

I think Mark is correct. Its an odd set up but on the 9" South Bend it is definitely a V-Belt on the motor which drives the flat pulley on the countershaft. Pick up a copy of...How to run a lathe" which was written by South Bend. You'll find so many answers in the little book. Used copies are always available on Ebay. I have one which came with Atlas Lathes and one from South Bend. They are both basically the same however I find the Atlas is a little more descriptive for things like grinding tooling while the South Bend is geared more to the working of the lathe itself.

"I believe it's actually a v-belt pulley and belt from the motor to the larger flat pulley. Sounds strange I know but it was commonly equipped that way from the factory-it works"
Mark

I think Mark is correct. Its an odd set up but on the 9" South Bend it is definitely a V-Belt on the motor which drives the flat pulley on the countershaft. Pick up a copy of...How to run a lathe" which was written by South Bend. You'll find so many answers in the little book. Used copies are always available on Ebay. I have one which came with Atlas Lathes and one from South Bend. They are both basically the same however I find the Atlas is a little more descriptive for things like grinding tooling while the South Bend is geared more to the working of the lathe itself.
I’ll go look at the lathe tomorrow to be sure but i don’t remember seeing a v groove pulley attached to the countershft. Just a very large flat drive pulley that looks to take a 3/4 in wide flat belt. I’ll look again tomorrow like i said and post what i find.

You could attach new leads to the motor and then buy a VFD to run it. Not too difficult and you'd have variable speed (nice to have)
You'd have to open up the motor to do the soldering repairs so a little bit of work there, and you'd probably want to replace the bearings too, so it's your decision..rebuild or replace
Mark

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, i looked at my drive pulley and it is a flat belt drive only, no v belt. Going to be hard finding a few parts that I’ll need to make it operational again. Ordered a few parts like the tail stock and wrench and the gear change cover support as the original one was broken. But that’s about it.
Is there a company that sells a backing plate for a 4 jaw chuck(not sure of the size off hand) that will thread on to my head stock? The threads are 1 7/8 x 8 tpi.

Back