Restoring a pre-ww2 southbend lathe

Looks like the pulley at the motor is grooved. If so....or maybe in any case...I'd lean towards going back with serpentine belts. They work great on these old flat belted machines.

Last edited:
Looks like the pulley at the motor is grooved. If so....or maybe in any case...I'd lean towards going back with serpentine belts. They work great on these old flat belted machines.
No pulley on the motor. That’s a missing link.

What is that a picture of in post #7. The first picture with the ruler. I thought that was your motor.

Edited--- My bad. I was looking at your spindle in post #7.

Last edited:
What is that a picture of in post #7. The first picture with the ruler. I thought that was your motor.
That’s where my 4 jaw chuck is supposed to be. I need a backing plate to screw on to that and bolt to my chuck.

I'd bet you would use the original lead screw, it's getting the gearbox mounted and connected. You'll need the gears for the banjo to match up . If I were you I'd get two pulleys double belt vee in the 3" and 6" . Replace the motor drive , the lower large flat to the head can be a good system been working for a hundred years or so. I'd find a better way to oil the setup on the bottom. A reservoir with lines to the oil holes down under couple of wicks to regulate the flow. I see odd things in pictures these stood out.

I have a 47 Bridgeport that i would like to paint the color of your lathe. Would you happen too know where what the code # is
or even a close match? Im thinking brush on since its still cold here?

I have a 47 Bridgeport that i would like to paint the color of your lathe. Would you happen too know where what the code # is
or even a close match? Im thinking brush on since its still cold here?
I do not know the color code, sorry. It was painted green when i purchesed it. It was originally grey in color. The lathe used to be owned by a local school. They probably are the ones who painted it green. I believe it is an oil base paint the way it is flaking off. I’m hoping it doesn’t contain lead. To answer your application question, I’m sure you can brush it on and have it flow out so no brush marks are in it. Me, I’m probably going to spray it out of my cheap pot gun.

Southbend lathe just got brought back to life. You could try them for parts.

Back