Restoring a Rockwell 21-122 Mill

cbtrek

Active User
Registered
Finally after looking for months, I found a Vertical Mill with a bonus, it also has a horizontal mill. It has the original paint but the lower end is missing most of it so the 1st thing, clean up all the parts and new paint before using. No way to have delivered at my garage so a friend helped by taking it off the truck at his welding shop. I then had to lighten the weight so I could get it safely out of my pickup later. I was able to sandblast the base cabinet and get the coat of primer and 2 coats of paint on the second day.

IMG_1424.jpg IMG_1427.jpg

cbtrek,

Congrats! You'll have a fine machine when you're done. I just finished wiring my 21-100 yesterday after spending the winter refurbing it.

Steve

Picked up some free parts today and made a new friend. When i got home I was able to get the cast Iron base off and started it's clean up. To dark to see so I will have to wait until the morning.

Found out it was made at the Bellefountaine Factory in 1979 under the Rockwell Peace Sign (Sign of the Devil) logo. Rockwell was absorbed and a time of cost cutting spree. From what I have seen so far, this machine did not suffered other then the 2 tone paint job I do not like anyway.

One coat of paint after sandblasting.

IMG_1434.jpg

Making some progress getting parts ready. Need to let the paint dry and get hard before I start to put it back together. I have some double locking casters coming to make a rolling base.

IMG_1455.jpg

After my brothers death, it's time to get back and finish cleaning up and updating my Rockwell mill. Here is a old photo as it was starting to come together.

IMG_1476.jpg IMG_1481.jpg

Last edited:
BEFORE As it was shipped to me. AFTER removing the paint, new primer and repainting. I did not do the head for now, it is in great shape. In the background you can see a 35mm Drive-In Theatre Projector I saved.

IMG_1479.jpg IMG_1424.jpg

Last edited:
Very nicely done. Now put 'er to work.

Back