Restoring a Train, sort of.

invisabledog

Active User
Registered
As close to restoring a locomotive as I ever will be able to get. 1952 Fairmont A3 speeder. Former PRR.

a.jpgb.jpgc.JPGd.JPG

a.jpg b.jpg c.JPG d.JPG

Fun and frustrating. These things didn't live an easy life. I'm trying to make one out of the remains of two. Most everything is bent or worn out. Luckily the engine, a Waukesha ICK, is in good shape and came with new rings and bearings. Still need to find a starter.

There was one that was at a local Auction house. It was in rebuildable shape and the engine I swear was a ford Pinto engine. I thought hard about biding on it. I can get replaced track locally and my mail box is over a half mile from the house.

My Dad had to leave so I put a absentee bid in but didn't win it. I guess the walk to the mail box wont kill me.

What are the plans for it?

I'm a member of NARCOA, the club for rail speeder owners. If I ever get it done I will use it on their sanctioned runs. If I ever get rich, I'll put a loop of track around the house.:))

I live in Fairmont MN, home of your speeder! It's to bad the plant is all but shut down. Fairmont Railway Motors was the largest employer in town at one time. Now just some engineering staff. A couple rail grinders are sitting in their siding. The historical society has a speeder out front on display and a lot of the old company records and such that you can go see. It's fascinating stuff to go see, and enough old timers still around to talk to.

Last edited:
I got my speeder build records from the historical society there. Would love to get up there some time and visit their displays.

Back