Restoring a Wisconsin THD/Lincoln welder

OlCatBob

Active User
Registered
Just thought I'd show you my project welder; well, the engine anyway. It's a circa 1960 Lincoln 180 AS portable welder that I was coerced into buying just because I didn't have the heart to see it go to China. The machine was at the scrapyard, and I know that Woody saw me coming... anyway, it somehow followed me home.
I also bought an add'l parts engine, but it was a TJD (different crank, cam, etc, but the jugs and pistons were good. The original THD was locked up, water in the cylinders, so I was good there with the TJD stuff, the bearings on the crank had also been in water, and didn't fare too well. I found a brand new crank on eBay for $85 bucks with NOS bearings installed, got lucky there! The THD rods were babbit bearinged and had almost no wear at all, so used those too. I found rings for the TJD pistons (3- ring) for not much money, as well as a gasket set. I did have to clean up the points on the magneto, but it works great too.
I got the engine off the stand a couple days ago, but haven't tried to start it as yet, as the welder mount actually has to be in place, as the bolts go right into the crankcase.
I'll post a pic or two for your perusal.
Bob

wisconsin THD 011.jpg wisconsin THD 013.jpg

Very nice work! I'm diggin your "mobile mount" lol! Keep the pics coming....I'd love to get into a project like this.

Thanks guys! I hope to get started on the "driven" end soon, hopefully I can get better pics than these. Would anyone happen to have a reasonably good flywheel screen for one of these engines? the one with the welder was missing, and the one off the TJD has been beaten to death with a hammer, a screwdriver, and other "tools" of dubious persuasion...
Bob

Just thought I'd show you my project welder; well, the engine anyway. It's a circa 1960 Lincoln 180 AS portable welder that I was coerced into buying just because I didn't have the heart to see it go to China. The machine was at the scrapyard, and I know that Woody saw me coming... anyway, it somehow followed me home.
I also bought an add'l parts engine, but it was a TJD (different crank, cam, etc, but the jugs and pistons were good. The original THD was locked up, water in the cylinders, so I was good there with the TJD stuff, the bearings on the crank had also been in water, and didn't fare too well. I found a brand new crank on eBay for $85 bucks with NOS bearings installed, got lucky there! The THD rods were babbit bearinged and had almost no wear at all, so used those too. I found rings for the TJD pistons (3- ring) for not much money, as well as a gasket set. I did have to clean up the points on the magneto, but it works great too.
I got the engine off the stand a couple days ago, but haven't tried to start it as yet, as the welder mount actually has to be in place, as the bolts go right into the crankcase.
I'll post a pic or two for your perusal.
Bob

View attachment 51807 View attachment 51808
I know this is an old reply. I just one of these up as well, the engine is free but has a stuck valve. How did your project turn out?

Back