Restoring An Old 1992 Standard Modern 1034

There is the possibility you can get a good machine, but an even greater possibility that you'll get a piece of junk.
That's the scary part, I really wanted a bigger lathe than the mini lathe I have but the possibility of getting a piece of junk was greater than I anticipated .
I still will entertain the idea of buying an older model lathe if I could buy a second one as a part donner ,this way at least I have some hope I can get one good lathe out of the two.

Last edited:
Ken, there is a problem with that idea. almost every lathe you get will be worn in the same areas, broken at the same weak point, etc. If you aren't afraid of the work, and can use a 3m pad to rub the rust (to be sure it isn't too pitted), I'd bid a low-ball on the best of the lot. If you lose, no biggie - if you win, you have a project.

about the ways: if you rub the tail stock end, and near where the chuck would end, the both should come up bright with small, .5mm pits in them. That way is recoverable with a lot of elbow grease. Bigger pits or not coming up bright, walk away, and don't even bid. An experienced rebuilder could make a great lathe out of a bad one, but only for a pastime. it isn't worth the work if the ways are badly pitted.

- oh, for the want of a tarp! :cry::cower::frown 2:

Hello Folks! I am interested in restoring, or attempting to restore an old Standard Modern. I have some photos here of one in an auction. Does anyone know if this is too far gone or is it worth a try to bid on something like this? If so, what would be a good offering bid? Thanks for your opinion!

Steve
Did you bid on one?

Did you bid on one?
Yes, I did. I was placing bids up to $430, then backed out. I think after I learn more about lathes and actually working with one for a while I may go back and bid in another one of the gov’t auctions. As I remember some of the final bids were up to $500 - $600 on the Standand Moderns. The site doesn’t really allow you to go back and see what they sold for. I guess that’s not too bad if you know what you are getting into. I did not. This forum, from my initial post, convinced me to think about what I want to do right now - either spin some metal or try and figure out how to restore one of these old dogs. After additional research and reading in this forum I’m thinking seriously about the Precision Matthews PM-1228VF-LB.

The Standard Modern machines after the 1970s changes are very well built machines, and as long as they haven't been severely abused they can be a great value!

Back