Restoring Jet 1024PY

Does it have a spindle that matches the M52.
do you have a source for faceplate or backing plates for chucks that fit, Have seen and found some for the P but not the PY.
how does it cut and function now that you have it rebuilt. Mine is nice, but still may put some scales on it.
I checked the spindle last night. It is a 52mm - 3.0 pitch thread. I saw a thread someplace that suggest making a "dummy" spindle nose to use to test the fit of custom made plates and collet mounts. I haven't done that yet as I have no immediate plans to make either a collet chuck or a new faceplate.

What is the spindle bore on the PY?

I have a 1024P that was made in '79 or '80 and love it. I have had it for about 3 years now. It was my first experience with a metal lathe. It's a very capable little machine and for a newbie, it's not too intimidating. The only drawback for what I do is the spindle bore is only 1-1/16th inch. I would love to have 2" but at this point, I have found ways to do what I need to do so the impetus to upgrade just isn't there and I don't want to give up any more shop space to the lathe so just going bigger isn't the right answer.

If I remember correctly, there is a model of the 1024 with a 1-3/8" spindle bore but I haven't been able to determine what the model is.

I just got a 85' 1024PY needs some help. I have enjoyed all the notes and helpful hints. A few have already answered some questions. Does anyone have a PDF of the manual to share? I'm new to machining but have always enjoyed fixing things. HVAC Mechanic by trade. Carpenter by necessity. Looking forward to making some chips soon. Thanks guys!
Mike

I just got a 85' 1024PY needs some help. I have enjoyed all the notes and helpful hints. A few have already answered some questions. Does anyone have a PDF of the manual to share? I'm new to machining but have always enjoyed fixing things. HVAC Mechanic by trade. Carpenter by necessity. Looking forward to making some chips soon. Thanks guys!
Mike

Here you go, I hope this helps. I'm currently working on rebuilding my lathe

Attachments

• 1024P (S) & 1236P (S).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
Hey everyone, I'm looking for input on replacing my spindle bore bearings. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to replace them with a sealed type?

Oil is better than grease, which sealed bearings have grease. My 1325 bearings sit in an oil bath...

Oil is better than grease, which sealed bearings have grease. My 1325 bearings sit in an oil bath...

Thank you for the response, I have been trying to research as much as I can since I'm completely new to machining and fabricating

I recommend that you learn how to machine and dont get too much into changing designs of your machines. Tim

It's no so much as redesigning it but rebuilding a 30 year old machine and ensuring it's in tip top shape

You may not need this, but some pictures for future reference by others.

A spare sight glass looking down, outer face at the top. A small collar at the top. Held in place by the O ring.

View attachment 244398

The sight glass next to the spindle in my G9249 lathe. A sharp edge behind the sight glass such as a pocket knife should pry this out.

This sight glass is slowly leaking oil out the front. Slow enough to not show in the picture, but if I wipe my finger underneath I can see a film of oil. I will eventually replace this. Not enough of a leak to replace at present.

View attachment 244399
Do you ave a source for these sight glasses and do you know if they are the same for a Jet 1236P? Also looking for a locator pin for the quick change gear lever on Jet 1236P.

Back