Restoring Jet 1024PY

Got my machine up and running. only issue is that I'm missing the nut/pin to change the machine to low gear(there is a pin in there as the large gear is locked to the spindle drive pulley. I've looked at the Grizzly parts list that was listed earlier looks like there is a spring and nut that are supposed to pull in a pin that locks the drive pulley to the larger drive gear part 119-123. How does this work? the pin is threaded spring holds in the pin? is the cotter pin just a detente for the flat nut? I want to learn some threading but don't want to start in high speed. Also not looking forward to having to pull the spindle just to see how it is supposed to work. any close up pics of a PY would be great I'm worried that it may be a little different than the P due to the spindle size being different. The pin parts for the Grizzley G9249 are cheap. Maybe I should just order them and dive in.

MStrat, I'm having difficulty visualizing what you are describing. Any chance you could post some picts?

On my 1024, there's a back gear lever which swings the back gear into position. At the same time, when you engage the back gear, there's a pin that needs to be disengaged from the main gear to prevent the drive gears & spindle from being locked. I believe this is the pin you are describing?

On my pin.... there a knurled knob/cap that's recessed into the large gear. Pulling the knob retracts the drive pin. About a quarter of the way down the drive pin is smaller pin that is perpendicular to the drive pin (forming a "T"). Rotating the knob, turns the drive pin such that the smaller pin locks the drive pin in it's retracted position, unlocking the larger gear and allowing use of the back gear.

I can take picts when I get home, if that helps.

Here you go......

IMG_5729.JPG
Pin Engaged

IMG_5728.JPG
Pin Disengaged

Last edited:
Added Picts of Drive Pin to previous post.

MStrat, I'm having difficulty visualizing what you are describing. Any chance you could post some picts?

On my 1024, there's a back gear lever which swings the back gear into position. At the same time, when you engage the back gear, there's a pin that needs to be disengaged from the main gear to prevent the drive gears & spindle from being locked. I believe this is the pin you are describing?

On my pin.... there a knurled knob/cap that's recessed into the large gear. Pulling the knob retracts the drive pin. About a quarter of the way down the drive pin is smaller pin that is perpendicular to the drive pin (forming a "T"). Rotating the knob, turns the drive pin such that the smaller pin locks the drive pin in it's retracted position, unlocking the larger gear and allowing use of the back gear.

I can take picts when I get home, if that helps.

Here you go......

View attachment 303709
Pin Engaged

Pin Disengaged

Thanks that helps a lot. That was what I was thinking but could not confirm. I think the nut and half my pin are gone. The remainder of the pin is still engaged with both the pulley and the gear. I've tried a magnet but there is no way to pull on the pin it seems broken where there should be the cotter pin. Looks like I'll be taking this apart if I want to learn threading.

I've tried a magnet

Some of these lathes have a threaded pin rather than a simple 1/4 turn. I find that if I don't tighten this lock pin sufficiently, I get a knocking sound when operating.

Some of these lathes have a threaded pin rather than a simple 1/4 turn. I find that if I don't tighten this lock pin sufficiently, I get a knocking sound when operating.
Ok, So I ordered the parts from Grizzley. All good they came in a few days. Here is a picture of the pin installed in the drive gear. I also notice that the two set screws in the three belt pully should not be tight it looks like on mine that someone had tightened this it looks like you could oil the bushing that this pulley is on if you are doing low speed work. I will be doing this.

Attachments

• IMG_1597[1].JPG
    IMG_1597[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1597[1].JPG
    IMG_1597[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I have a Jet 10x24 PY, in running condition, The only thing I have found is somehow some of the small belt way on the spindle pulley got broken off. But everything else is fine. So I can take pics if needed. I also have one of the old Off brand 10X24 that also matches some of the earlier Jet 10X24s. It is one that I am working on, Still need to get/make a new Backplate made for it. so I can get the headstock lined up properly as I had it off and replaced all the bearings.
i have a 1024py that i just got and im in total darkness about it. it was taken apart for so reason and im trying to figure out how it goes together.and another problem there are brass gears that are torn up so they need to be replaced.every thing on the head seems to be intact but every thing that rides on the rails has been taken off.is there any place i can get pics or scmematics on how it goes together and maybe where the brass gears go.Any help would really be helpful.because i would really like to get it going and learn how to use it. i build and drag race and im a avid long range hunter and rifle builder.thank you very much for your time,robert.

i have a 1024py that i just got and im in total darkness about it. it was taken apart for so reason and im trying to figure out how it goes together........is there any place i can get pics or scmematics on how it goes together and maybe where the brass gears go.

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the group!

We have some Jet documents here:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/jet-except-grinders.636/
specifically this one: Jet 1024P (S) & 1236P (S).pdf
(you may need to be a donating member of the forum to download....)
.....but I don't know the differences between the "P" and "PY"

As above, replacement gears form the equivalent Grizzly model might fit.

You might try Grizzly for a manual too, they are likely very similar....(look at the "Documents" tab)....
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-x-22-Benchtop-Metal-Lathe/G0602
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-x-22-VS-Benchtop-Lathe-with-2-Axis-DRO/G0752Z

-brino

i have a 1024py that i just got and im in total darkness about it. it was taken apart for so reason and im trying to figure out how it goes together.and another problem there are brass gears that are torn up so they need to be replaced.every thing on the head seems to be intact but every thing that rides on the rails has been taken off.is there any place i can get pics or scmematics on how it goes together and maybe where the brass gears go.Any help would really be helpful.because i would really like to get it going and learn how to use it. i build and drag race and im a avid long range hunter and rifle builder.thank you very much for your time,robert.
Yes some pics of the carriage would be great. and if you could find out where the brass gears go that would be really great. They are around two inch gears. And i cant find out where these are located. thank you very much, Bob.

Back