Restoring Jet 1024PY

It was easy to remove the entire assembly.
Dimensions per your markup of the parts image
A. Overall length approx 15.5in
B. Main threaded section approx 8.375in. Diameter is 14mm.
C. Shoulder to threads on main section 2.236in
D. Front of screw to shoulder after gear 4.79in
E. Diameter of smaller threaded section not accessible, but the threads are 12mm, so I expect unthreaded diameter is the same.

I hope this helps.
Dave, Thank you very much! That certainly does help. I will measure mine tonight and see if there are the same or even close.

Ok, That looks almost like my 1977 10x24. It was made in Taiwan and is My Jet10X24 PY is a little bit diff but that is mostly in the housing and handles. But the shaft looks the same.

Well, that answers the question about whether the Grizzly G9249 parts are a direct replacement for the Jet 1024. At least we now know the crossfeed screw is not a direct replacement.

Dimension..........Jet 1024..........Grizzly G9249
. . . . A. . . . . . . . . . .16.5". . . . . . . . . . 15.5"
. . . . B. . . . . . . . . . .7.75". . . . . . . . . . 8.375"
. . . . C. . . . . . . . . . .3.25". . . . . . . . . . 2.236"
. . . . D. . . . . . . . . . .5.5". . . . . . . . . . . 4.75"
. . . . E. . . . . . . . . . .15mm. . . . . . . . . 12mm
. . . . F. . . . . . . . . . .15mm . . . . . . . . . 14mm

I guess I keep looking for replacement options.

Dave, thanks again for checking the dimensions for me. It saved me some money and disappointment.

Holidays slowed things down on the Jet, but there has still been some good progress. I have replaced the SPST light switch that was the motor control when I got the machine with a drum switch to allow running the motor forward and reverse. I have received the repaired quick change lever and cover. They are now installed and working correctly.

I decided to try to straighten the crossfeed screw and it appears to now possibly be in usable condition. After straighten it using a homemade hydraulic press, I was able to restore the 12mmx1.25 threads to a usable condition. I have met with a machinist from the local Maker Space to discuss making a new bracket for the crossfeed screw bearings. It was an interesting meeting. He spent about an hour trying to dissuade me from attempting to refurbish the lathe; not successfully. I pointed out that I view this project as an opportunity to learn about machining. Hopefully later this month he will be helping me make a new bracket.

At this point, the machine is basically back together as much as it can be without the crossfeed screw bracket. The lead screw and the drive shaft are installed and working. It all seems to run smoothly and with minimal unexpected noises. The only tool holder that came with it is an old lantern style and even that is missing some parts. Also, I have discovered that the tailstock is missing the "tailstock MT2 spindle" and drive center, so initially, I will be doing only chuck work.

It is coming together slowly but surely. And I am learning a lot about the machine and have read a lot about metal turning and watch a ton of YouTube videos about machine shop work.

Just a note from my limited experience on sight glasses. My Asian mill... a Rung Fu 45 series Chinese clone, has a sight glass which screws in. It was not pressed in. I drilled two short holes in it and used a pin spanner wrench to unscrew it. If you don’t have proper spanner, two small drill bits held firmly in the holes and a screw driver placed in between them can be used to remove and reinstall

You may not need this, but some pictures for future reference by others.

A spare sight glass looking down, outer face at the top. A small collar at the top. Held in place by the O ring.

View attachment 244398

The sight glass next to the spindle in my G9249 lathe. A sharp edge behind the sight glass such as a pocket knife should pry this out.

This sight glass is slowly leaking oil out the front. Slow enough to not show in the picture, but if I wipe my finger underneath I can see a film of oil. I will eventually replace this. Not enough of a leak to replace at present.

View attachment 244399
Any idea if you can buy those little sight glasses online eBay etc as I've been searching for some for quite a while ,and the only place I managed to find was a place in Germany and when I contacted them they put me in touch with another company of which I'm still waiting to hear back from three weeks later so would seem I'm outa luck

I'd try Grizzly tools. They have a good website and good parts service. It will take a little bit of homework finding what you need since parts tend to get discontinued for older machines. That said, the way to do this is to find current machines which share parts of older machines. Many mills seem to have new "bells and whistles"....New electronics, but the items such as sight glasses seem to be somewhat standard across many machines. I'm sure the same can be said for lathes. I think things such as thread dials are also shared across many lines which have the same lead screw size. It's not easy, but with some work you can get it to work. FWIW, I know some of the gear head drills also seem to have similar sight glasses. I bet some lathes still use same size glasses as mills. Good luck.

I actually cut some chips with the Jet lathe last night! I still do not have the cross feed screw installed, but the compound feed is working. So I locked the crossfeed and used the compound for the radial feed. Not optimal, but it worked enough to actually do a little turning. Also, the only tool holder is a lantern style that is missing the rocker. I made a very crude rocker just to try things. I am not anxious to spend a lot of money on this thing until I know it can actually be made to work with some semblance of correctness.

Waiting to gain access to a local "Maker Space" machine shop to build a couple of parts for the lathe. One thing I could use just a little help with is the Tailstock Spindle and nut. It is completely missing from my machine. If someone has one of these and could measure and post the overall length of the spindle, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I need to know how the nut is attached to the spindle. From the part diagrams, it looks like it is a press fit. Could anyone verify this?

And help will be appreciated!

Hopefully this is what you are looking for? This is from my 1024P.
Not shown: Tailstock Spindle Interanal Taper - 2MT

IMG_4579.JPG
Spindle Dia: 32mm

IMG_4581.JPG
Treaded Bushing: Est Length 20-25mm

IMG_4582.JPG
Keyway Width: 6mm

IMG_4583.JPG
Overall Length: 6 7/8" or 175mm

IMG_4584.JPG
End of keyway to end of shaft: 14.80mm

Back