Restoring Jet 1024PY

Dave, I am still looking for some parts for my Jet 1024. Now the issue is that the tailstock sleeve is missing. Could you measure the sleeve in your Grizzly for me? I am wondering if there is any chance that the part for the Grizzly might be the same as the one for my Jet. According to a couple of other post here, the sleeve for my Jet should be 6 7/8 inches or 175mm long and 32mm in diameter with a 2MT. Is that anywhere close to the sleeve in your Grizzly? Thanks

I looked at the quill on my Grizzly G9249. Overall dimensions are similar, 6 7/8in long x 32.12mm dia, but the Grizzly has MT3 taper.

I looked at the quill on my Grizzly G9249. Overall dimensions are similar, 6 7/8in long x 32.12mm dia, but the Grizzly has MT3 taper.
Well that could work since I do not have anything to fit in either MT2 or MT3 so whatever I use I will have to buy. But the sleeve will be big step in the right direction. Thanks.

Well that could work since I do not have anything to fit in either MT2 or MT3 so whatever I use I will have to buy. But the sleeve will be big step in the right direction. Thanks.

Before you purchase this part, you need to confirm the thread of the tailstock handle. I did not measure at the time since I did not want to spend the time to remove the part. I will do this later.

Good point. I looked at the Grizzly parts list. The threaded part (nut) is actually a separate part held in the quill with a set screw, so if it is the wrong thread, I should be able to make the correct one. My feed screw is a 14mm outside diameter. The parts list indicates the "Nut" is 15mm, so that nut probably will not work. Still looking before I plunk down $90 for parts that may not be quite right.

Some pictures to assist your evaluation/decision.

The nut is 16mm. Note the round pin/key A groove in the handle. I had taken this apart before so I knew there was a key. "Murphy" had the slot pointing down so the pin fell out. At least it safely fell into the chip pan.

Grizzly_G9249_tailstock_screw_handle_8747.jpg

The screw may be a two part construction. Note the roll pin.

Grizzly_G9249_screw_showing_pin_8745.jpg

I did not measure all the sections, but this should give you an idea how close this is to your lathe.

Grizzly_G9249_screw_length_with_rule_8746.jpg

The screw is just over 14mm.

Grizzly_G9249_screw_diameter_8744.jpg

WOW! Thanks for the detailed information. The main thing I was worried about was the diameter of the feed screw. Yours reads exactly the same size as mine. Since I have the feed screw for my tail stock, all I am looking for is a quill that will fit. It sure looks like the quill on you Grizzly is exactly the same as what I need for mine. I'll have to check the budget, but I may be ordering a quill from Grizzly. Again, thanks for the detail information.

As I suspected, this does not look like a part that anyone has needed to re-engineered for a long time. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" or in this case "If it ain't broke, why change it!"

I am beginning to feel like this old Jet lathe may be fully functional SOON!

You can use papertowels soaked with evaporust and covered with cling wrap on the stuff too big to soak.

Dave, Back in March, you posted a couple of picture of the tailstock leadscrew from your Grizzly G9249. I recently received the quill and leadscrew nut from Grizzly. Unfortunately, the leadscrew nut does not look right. It is a barrel nut with a flange. The barrel is about 2.5 mm smaller than the corresponding hole in the quill and the flange is about the same size as the outer diameter of the quill. Grizzly is saying that there has not been any changes to the nut, so since the package I received has the right part number on it, I must have the correct part. Is there any chance you could pull the quill sleeve out of your lathe and take a picture of the end of it with the leadscrew nut? I am assuming that the nut in your quill is a simple barrel nut that is completely inside the sleeve. If so, I would like to be able to show Grizzly that they sent me the wrong part. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

I will take the tailstock apart to get to the nut.

In the meantime This is the parts diagram from my manual. Part 504 is the leadscrew nut. The parts diagram does not show a flange on this nut.

G9249_tailstock_leadscrew_parts.jpg

I removed the set screw and tried to remove the leadscrew nut out, but it must be pressed in place. The camera did not focus on the hole as I wanted. It looks like the nut was pressed in place, then a hole drilled and tapped for the set screw. If I did move the nut I would likely be unable to align the threads in the hole between nut and quill.

This feels like a straight cylinder shape as shown in the parts diagram.

G9249_quill_leadscrew_does_not_remove_9187.jpg

Back