Restoring Jet 1024PY

wframe13

Registered
Registered
I am in the process of being given a Jet 1024PY metal lathe. It has been sitting outside for an unknown period. The ways and the carriage components all have what looks like surface rust. What are the recommended methods for removing the rust? Is electrolysis an acceptable approach for the components like the carriage parts, the tail stock, and the 3 and 4 jaw chucks? What about the ways? How do I get those cleaned up without damaging them?

In addition to the rust, the left side of the skirt for the quick change gears has broken off and is missing along with the left quick change selector handle. Any ideas on how to replace either of these?

Any information will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

20170924_153155.jpg

20170924_153401.jpg

You can use electrolysis for removing rust on any part of a lathe. It will likely remove the paint as well.

Hello...
Keith Rucker has a good video on electrolytic rust removal using washing soda " none toxic " that will get you started.

If your pockets are overflowing you could also us Evapo-Rust to get the rust off... Then use ultra fine Scotch Bright some oil and elbow grease to clean up the ways.

Neither will harm / Damage the iron when done properly.. Most important is researching each method well before you begin, there are other methods you can us, these 2 work well and are pretty well known in the machine tool circles..

Good luck with you project... And have fun.

Hello...
Keith Rucker has a good video on electrolytic rust removal using washing soda " none toxic " that will get you started.
Good luck with you project... And have fun.

Mr. Mike, Thanks for the reference to Keith Rucker. I watched his Electrolysis video and then several of his videos on restoring the LeBlond lathe. While my Jet 1024 is no LeBlond, it will be helpful to see how he goes about the process of disassembling, cleaning, painting, and reassembling the lathe. Also his video on cleaning and servicing lathe chucks will be very helpful.

I believe this will be a fun project!

Mr. Mike, Thanks for the reference to Keith Rucker. I watched his Electrolysis video and then several of his videos on restoring the LeBlond lathe. While my Jet 1024 is no LeBlond, it will be helpful to see how he goes about the process of disassembling, cleaning, painting, and reassembling the lathe. Also his video on cleaning and servicing lathe chucks will be very helpful.

I believe this will be a fun project!

You will have a blast if you like fixing and fiddling. The science is fun too. I won't say its not alot of work, I'm very new to all this myself.

There is alot to learn.. Take your time. If you want to get an idea what to expect check out my posting I just got my first lathe - Logan 875 on the Logan lathe board...

You will find an answer or two for some of your researching.

And so it begins...

A week ago, I stopped by my neighbor (Clovis Vintage Machinery - https://www.facebook.com/Clovis-Vintage-Machinery-158689440981001/) to talk to him about the 10+ foot long South Bend lathe sitting in his driveway. As we talked, I noticed that there was a bench top lathe sitting on the ground next to the driveway. When I asked him about it, he said he got it free off Craigslist. It turned out to be something he was not interested in working on, did I want it? I have done woodworking all of my adult life and have always thought it would be fun to have a metal lathe, so of course I would like to have it, how much? Free and he would even deliver it in his service truck with the 3 ton crane. He said he could deliver it the next weekend, and we were all set.

I knew it was going to be a project to get it running, but I think I am up to the challenge. The lathe is a Jet model 1024PY. Apparently it had fallen at some point and the left hand Quick Change gear selector and the crossfeed handle had taken the brunt of the fall. More on that later.

So last Saturday he brought it to my home. I had a bench that was built for an old Sears Craftsman jointer (another restoration project in the waiting) that was just the right size for the lathe. Because I am limited on space, I wanted to be able to move it around as I work on restoring it, so I put some casters under the bench. He lifted it out of his truck and we took the chip pan off while it was still on the crane. I used the chip pan to mark the location for holes for mount the lathe. We then set it down and bolted it to the table. He drove off and left me with my new toy/project. As I rolled it into the garage, one of the caster caught in the cement joint between the driveway and garage and it almost tipped over. Fortunately, I was able to divert that disaster. So now the lathe is sitting in the garage and I have started the process of cleaning it up and seeing if I can actually "restore" it to full operation.

My inexperienced examination revealed the following:
Good point:
  • The headstock and all the gears turn freely as do the drive belts
  • The motor runs and drives the headstock
  • The carriage moves up and down the ways
  • The compound moves in and out and pivots as it should
  • Included are a 3 jaw scroll chuck, a 4 jaw independent chuck, a faceplate, and a lantern style tool holder
  • Also included is the tail stock
Major Problems:
  • The main selector on the Quick Change gar box is broken (all parts are present)
  • The skirt for the Quick Change that has the holes for positions the selectors is broken (again the broken piece is present)
  • The bracket that attaches the crossfeed screw to the saddle is broken in several places:
    • The ears that hold the bolts that attach the screw to the saddle are broken off, part of one is present but the other is completely gone
    • The back of the bracket that hold one of the bearing is cracked off of the bracket
Minor Problems
  • Lots of surface rust
  • The carriage handwheel is broken (it will work to move the carriage, but will need to be replaced before using the lathe)
  • The crank handle for the crossfeed is bent
  • The crossfeed screw is bent but I think I can get it straight enough to work. Right now the nut binds in the channel at the far end of its travel.
  • The 3-button Forward-Off-Reverse switch has been replaced with a simple on-off light switch. This works for forward operation but does not allow reversing the motor.
  • The tail stock is missing the spindle or any center
Obviously the Major Problems above are going to require a lot of looking for replacement parts and/or figuring out how to repair or replace the broken parts. I think I could figure out a way to lock the Quick Change in place in one of the gears, but the crossfeed is going to be a real problem. I have neither the knowledge or skills to manufacture a replacement for the bracket. But I do have access to a "maker space" that has the equipment and probably some people that have the skills to help me manufacture something to make it work.

Progress:
  • Removed the 3 jaw chuck that was mounted on the lathe and started disassembling in preparation for a through cleaning,
  • Removed the compound and the crossfeed saddle for cleaning
  • Removed the crossfeed screw and mounting bracket for repair/replacement

If any one has or know of anyone that has parts for a Jet Model 1024PY, I would be appreciate hearing from you. Also looking for information on paint. There are a number of heavy scratches in the paint and I would like to repaint it. I want keep it the original green color, or something close to it.

I think this is going to be an interesting project, which when finished will result in a toy to play with and make some chips.

If you can find a Jet 1024PY to get parts from, that should work. There are a lot of Asian lathes that all look near exactly the same from 5 feet away, but you cannot bet that any of the parts will fit YOUR lathe. The makers stick to a standard design, but often size to fit. Jet is known for being much better than most Asian manufacturers in that respect. Any of those parts can be made or repaired by someone skilled at doing so. Unfortunately, you gain experience by doing things you did not know how to do. If you are someone willing to spend the time, do the legwork, and tackle the issues one step at a time, WITHOUT GIVING UP or moving it to the ignore category, you will eventually have success. Before you start, have a heart to heart with yourself and a good look at yourself in the mirror, and decide whether you meet the requirements for the job.

Remember that you can probably buy a working lathe similar to that one for about $1K or so without tooling.

Back