Restoring Jet 1024PY

I have a Jet 1024P. Grizzly used to sell their version of it's big brother the G9249, which was a 12 x 37. Though they no longer sell the lathe, they do still sell most of the parts for it. So, they may be a source. My lathe was missing some of the threading change gears. I took a chance and ordered the Gears for the G9249 and they were a perfect fit. I also ordered a Gib adjustment screw for the cross-slide that also was a exact replacement.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/g9249/parts

If you haven't found it yet, in the downloads section of the forum, there are a bunch of manuals for the Various Brands that the 1024 lathe was produced under. I've taken sections from many of them to make a "super" manual, as each manual may have a section with additional information, not covered by the other manuals.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/jet.636/

I have a Jet 10x24 PY, in running condition, The only thing I have found is somehow some of the small belt way on the spindle pulley got broken off. But everything else is fine. So I can take pics if needed. I also have one of the old Off brand 10X24 that also matches some of the earlier Jet 10X24s. It is one that I am working on, Still need to get/make a new Backplate made for it. so I can get the headstock lined up properly as I had it off and replaced all the bearings.

I did not know the Jet 1024PY was similar to the Grizzly G9249. I have a Grizzly G9249 if you need any measurements from my lathe.
This lathe was manufactured in late 1999. I may be the third owner.

Grizly_G9249_latest_picture_8069.jpg

WHAT!!! Now we are 'restoring' Jet lathes? Sorry but my idea of restoring ends in the 1960's.

Seriously, those Jets are ok, worth some effort to clean and fix and what not. Keep us posted on your progress,

Ulma doctor , Have you ever noticed that all copies of the Document are missing pages 29 and 30, I think that is the two. For the headstock. Have found it several places and they all seem to be the same one.
I have the 10x24PY, I wish it had the control rod, think that is what the 3rd rod is.

The Grizzly on my other 10X24 some parts fit, some do not. Have not had to replace much on this one yet.

Ulma doctor , Have you ever noticed that all copies of the Document are missing pages 29 and 30, I think that is the two. For the headstock. Have found it several places and they all seem to be the same one.
I have the 10x24PY, I wish it had the control rod, think that is what the 3rd rod is.

The Grizzly on my other 10X24 some parts fit, some do not. Have not had to replace much on this one yet.
Wow Kvt,
until you mentioned it, i didn't notice the missing pages-
i'll attach the LAM lathe manual too, the info is more complete in the headstock drawing

Attachments

• LAM Lathe Manual.pdf
    13.4 MB · Views: 75
Back