Restoring Jet 1024PY

I have a Jet 1024P. Grizzly used to sell their version of it's big brother the G9249, which was a 12 x 37. Though they no longer sell the lathe, they do still sell most of the parts for it. So, they may be a source. My lathe was missing some of the threading change gears. I took a chance and ordered the Gears for the G9249 and they were a perfect fit. I also ordered a Gib adjustment screw for the cross-slide that also was a exact replacement.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/g9249/parts

DAT510 - Thanks for the link to Grizzly. I may give them a try for the Quick Change gear selector. Their drawing doesn't look quite the same my broken piece, but looks like it functions the same. I will have to check on their return policy if it simply doesn't fit. The other broken piece is the bracket for mounting the crossfeed screw. The Grizzly part does NOT look like it would be a direct replacement, but it does give me an idea of how to build a replacement part. Great resource! Thanks.

I did not know the Jet 1024PY was similar to the Grizzly G9249. I have a Grizzly G9249 if you need any measurements from my lathe.
This lathe was manufactured in late 1999. I may be the third owner.

View attachment 243222
Dave, Thanks for the post. I may be following up with you to see if you can take some measurements on the quick change select arm. That is the one broken part that I may have to buy if I can find one that will fit. I won't know what kind of measurements I will need until I can get the part that is still in the machine out so I can measure it. I'll be in touch.

Yea, I go the same one from Jet when I contacted them, They had no explanation on the missing pages ether, theirs is a little cleaner copy if I remember correctly, Have to find my backups in order to check.
Ok, The selectors both are the same on both of my 10X24s, from what I can tell, Only had one set completely apart.
On the part for cross feed screw are you talking the part that has two screws that hold it to the carriage, and it houses the two thrust bearings for the cross feed screw. It has the mark for your hand wheel on it. If you have the old one, and a mill you may be able to make that. Both of mine are different. The main thing is that it does not stick up above the Carriage and that it holds the gear for powered cross feed in the correct place (not real critical) The alignment for the bores for the thrust bearings are more important.
also you could have Dave take a picture of his Grizzly and compare it to what you have or one of us that have the 10X24s have. before you go and order it.

Nope, It is more like my other 10x24, The PY has the counter shaft inside the back of the headstock. The headstock is longer in the back, and sticks out over the motor where the belt comes up into it.

I have been working a little each evening and probably too much on weekends (according to my wife) on my Jet 1024PY. I have gotten all the problem pieces off the machine and am beginning to work on resolutions. As identified before the big problems are with the broken quick change selector and cover and the broken and bent pieces in the cross feed screw. I am taking the quick change parts to a cousin that is a professional welder to see if they can be restored to working order. I have asked Grizzly for specification on their version of the crossfeed screw to see if it can be used as a replacement for mine that is badly bent.

One issue I am scratching my head over is the oil in the main bearing in the headstock. There are 2 sight glasses on the front of the headstock housing that show the oil level in the bearing. Short of completely disassembling the main shaft in the headstock, any ideas on how to drain and flush these oil cavities? I haven't found any drain plugs. One sight glasses shows some fluid in it. Since the machine sat outside for some time, I know I need to flush out any old fluid and put in fresh oil. And of course, the two pages missing from the manual I have are the parts diagram of the top of the headstock that might have given me some idea on how to drain the oil. Any idea for draining/flushing these oil cavities would be appreciated.

Does anyone know how those sight glasses are held in place? Are they a press fit that could be removed to allow flushing out through them and then replaced? Ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sight glasses are just press fitted in. Right way or not, when I drained mine I just stuck the wet vac hose on the opening. Flushed them. Re-filled and flushed my twice.

To minimize the mess, I taped a piece of paper below the openings to catch the oil into a small container.

Sight glasses are just press fitted in. Right way or not, when I drained mine I just stuck the wet vac hose on the opening. Flushed them. Re-filled and flushed my twice.

To minimize the mess, I taped a piece of paper below the openings to catch the oil into a small container.

Thanks for the response. Not sure I understand: Did you stick the vac hose in the sight glass hole or the fill hole on top of housing? If through sight glass hole, how did you remove the sight glass? Mine are flush mounted, I can't see how to get a hold of them to pull them out.

BTW: I like the tribute to your father. My dad was a P-39 pilot in the South Pacific for 22 months. And thank you for your service!

Back