Resurfaced my, (new to me) Walker-Ceramax 618 magnetic chuck

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Good job, Jeff! Sure beats babysitting the thing while it finish cuts a big surface with a small step over...

Very true,
The art of learning to use this grinder to finish grind is yet to come.
I made a big step today. As far as I know, this Micromaster is ready and able to work for me.

Good job Jeff. See peer pressure does do good things sometimes.

I couldn’t agree more.
Like Bob said, what could go wrong?
I ran a finish pass over this maveable jaw I picked out of the fire rubble. It has to be annealed.
I used an open 46 J wheel.
It came out very nice, I’m trying to show the finish but it doesn’t quite do it.
Nice grinder now that it works as designed.
Thank you Richard King!!!

5F199F2C-2702-4358-8191-C51736B2F8BD.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks good to me, Jeff. Part of the game of getting good surface finishes is of course what wheel you use, but dressing the wheel before the finish cut is a big part of it, and how deep and how fast you move the diamond across the wheel makes a big difference in your surface finish. Most hobby grinder hands do not dress the wheel often enough when doing the roughing, either. Make yourself a nib holder that is easy and quick to mount to the vise (or have it where it can stay mounted), have the diamond at about the same height you are grinding at, and you will be happier to dress the wheel more often. Beyond the surface finish, getting the crud and dull grains out of the wheel also makes the grinding cooler, which will give you better control of the actual depths you are cutting. When you get to the finish stage, keeping the heat down and the crud out of the wheel becomes highly important. There are some good writings on the web about how to dress wheels properly for differing work, try to watch some of them and understand the ideas that they are suggesting. Even on my old and not perfect B&S 2L grinder, I can get decent finishes most of the time, WAY better than I could when I first started at it. "Everything matters!" For good finishes, and for less heat in the work, only use our narrow wheels for cutting in one direction only, and with smaller stepovers for finishing. The leading side of the wheel does the heavy work, and wears and loads up and gets dull as it does so, but the trailing side of the wheel barely gets used, finishing the cuts nice and clean and to size with sharp grains. Try it, you'll like it...

I have two diamond dressers. Both are the dull style tip.
I have read to use a sharp dress at times.
I look forward to learning the sport.
Those precision stones we ground sure get used often, they are fabulous.

Those precision stones we ground sure get used often, they are fabulous.
My 6" electronic calipers used to be the most used tools in the shop. Now the precision ground flat stones have inched into that spot.

Never had a doubt!
Unless you were to ... Lol

Back