Resurfaced my, (new to me) Walker-Ceramax 618 magnetic chuck

Jeff I use the 5 block or 10 block method all the time and also check the top with a straight-edge/ You can use the straight edge I gave you. You can put in 4 or 5 .001" shim stocks under the SE and try pulling them out. Or just blue it up and set on the chuck and hinge it. Your machine and grinding looks super!

This chuck works the way they are intended.
The B&S chuck that came with the Micromaster was in bad shape.
I practiced on the old worn out chuck.
Fresh dress on the wheel with lots of coolant and got it done.
I let it spark out on the last pass. Smooth as glass!
I’ll try the 5 block test later.
Looks very nice, Jeff! Must be the wheel I told you to use... ;)

If you were using a electro-magnet chuck you would put a lock washer under the right side hold down nut and just snug it up, so when the chuck warms up it expands and moves there instead of bending the table. I love you used the coolant too as so many grind them dry and wonder why they get colored streaks.

Mr. Cadillac man, I am still attending the valve as it jumps on the left side reversing lever.
Richard, have you run into this before? When the table reversing dog hits the lever it will jog back and forth a time or two before continuing on. I attend it by holding the lever to the fully reversed position and it works.
The Hobby Machinists are meeting at my shop in a couple weeks, maybe I can get some input on this Grinder issue.

Thanks for the kind words, I’m proud of myself.
This chuck is in very good shape.
I used the Radiac RA46 J8 V8. You know, the one Bob told me about.

A couple of things could be happening: The reversing valve is either worn or dirty. Or the reversing handle was taken apart once and not put back in the same factory setting. I have also seen where the dog on the table is worn and that doesn't push the lever far enough.

Have you checked the system pressure? Cleaned the tank? New oil?

Richard,
Yes, new oil after a thorough cleaning. I am using Vacuoline 1405. The tank and machine was pretty clean.
Replaced both filters, one screen and one wool.
I replaced all the Bijur metering valves. Had the table off to clean and prove out the oiling system.
I have played with the adjustment on the dog and have increased the diameter of the roller. The problem is, there is a split second required to hold the lever in position. I would assume the pressure needs to build but the other side works as designed??
I'll check pressure this morning. I'm off this week.
We are having a Staycation.

I have a schematic of the hydraulic system that differs slightly from my machine.
Where do I install my pressure gage?IMG_3587.JPGIMG_3588.JPGIMG_3589.JPG

The question is, where to install the gauge?

I have 95-100 lbs at the table control valve when the throttle is open.
I am pretty sure I need 125.
IMG_3590.JPG

Just a observation in your last pic with the gauge installed is that a oil sight glass about 2-3” above the gauge. Idk if it primes when pumping but that sight glass is empty. With the gauge you have it would be better to get one more in the range you need. Looks like it’s a touch above 100 psi from the angle viewed. Might be more accurate to get a different gauge?? Could their be a possibility of a stubborn air pocket in the system??

Back