Retired Machinist in the Fort Collins, Colorado Area.

Hey @Stephen623 welcome to HM :)
Was there an issue before the lathe was moved? (edit - apparently it was)
Is it plugged into a GFI outlet or on a circuit with a GFI breaker?
I ask only because there was another member that was having all sorts of problems because his variable speed lathe was plugged into a GFI outlet (or breaker I can't recall) and it was solved by changing to a different non-GFI outlet.

Caveat - I only have a partial clue about electricity. :)
Hey David. Thank you. You were right this a great forum. All the folks here have been very helpful.

Still not sure what "hear a click" is. Is it the circuit breaker in the house? A thermal cutout in the motor?

After its quits, how do you get it to start again? Wait for it to cool? Reset some circuit breaker or other cutout?

Nominally, a 1HP motor is less than 800 watts. A 15 amp 110V circuit shouldn't have any problem with that.

Is there anything else on the circuit?
How long is the power cord?
Can you measure the voltage at the motor when it is running?
Does it do this with no load? Can you disconnect some belt or gear to remove the load from the motor?

Good Luck.
Hey Big,
It seems to be a thermal cutout with the motor itself. It’s not a circuit breaker in the house.

Yes. There were a couple of units on the circuit. One of them, a space heater, obviously draws a lot of current and could just be the problem. Should have thought of that but my garage is Arctic right now. The cord is also probably too long. The motor runs great with no load.

I’m not sure what the voltage drop across the motor is. I have a volt meter so I could check that. Hopefully I won’t electrocute myself.

Thank you for your thoughts! Stephen

Back