Retirement, it's here like a ton of bricks

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The planners say how much I'll get, and I should be fine(a little short) I'm on my wife's medical already. Tomorrow at 0800 I'm unemployed, my anxiety is through the roof right now, just cuz it's going to happen, and I haven't done it yet to see how it will be. It is what it is, deal with it I guess. I'll laugh about it later(I hope):oops::eek 2:

Best wishes man!
See you in a few years:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, Mike! Don't worry, you'll be fine. Retirement is like permanent vacation and who doesn't like vacation? It will take some time to get used to not getting up to go to work and you'll have work on your mind for a little while but it slowly lets go and then you'll get to re-discover who you were. Only problem is that you'll be really busy because you have to fit everything you do in between your morning and afternoon naps!

LOL, thank you Dave, and Mike, Jim I've had the same job for 40 years, I'm saying retired, but my mind says UNEMPLOYED.....I was working on charter boats at 15 years old, under the table, this "OK stay home now" is unnerving

I hear you man.
I have a colleague who is a lawyer.
After a particularly crap year she took a year’s leave.
She is totally type A and said that for the first couple of months she had no idea what to do with herself.
She went to Scotland for a few months and came back a different person, for the better

It’s gonna be weird to be sure, try not to put any pressure on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... this "OK stay home now" is unnerving

Staying home is not the same as doing nothing. I retired at 56, bought a sport bike at 58, modified the suspension and was riding way too fast at 59 (still do at 70), and had my last hunt that year going after sheep at 9,000 feet. When I die, I don't want to ever say that I didn't do something because I was too old or whatever other excuse I come up with.

During out lives, we are different roles - worker, husband, father, caregiver or whatever - and we often lose touch with the person we used to be. In retirement, we have the chance to be that guy again, to get back in touch with who we are, because all those responsibilities are largely done with. Look forward, Mike, because the best times are coming ... trust me!

Congratulations to you Mike. I retired 3yrs ago, I get asked all the time, “what do you do now that your retired?”, I reply
“ anything I want, when I want”. You will adjust quickly

This is how I want to do it, just not broke, or scraping by.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

You have a machining hobby but it is not enough.
The more interests you have the better you will be mentally.
I retired at 62 by choice and have loved every minute of it.
I retired with two others who had no hobbies other than fishing.
After around 8 weeks they both had to find part time jobs as they were going mad with boredom.
Learn new skills or the arts or whatever turns you on (legally ;) ) and you will be set.
Have an awesome time.

Back