Retirement, it's here like a ton of bricks

I retired six years ago. While I enjoyed going into work, work and home projects demanded so much of my time that I had very little time for any hobbies or personal activities and I was jealously guarding against any new demands on my time.

With retirement, there are no more alarm clocks except for special occasions. For the most part, if I don't feel like doing something, I don't have to do it. Life has become largely unstructured. As the home improvement projects wind down, I am finding more time for my personal projects.

All that notwithstanding, time whizzes by. It seems that one moment it's Monday and when I turn around, the weekend is here. Weeks turn into months,months fly by, and it's hard to believe that it's been six years.

I'm reading every word. I'm one of those that is looking at retirement in a few years.
My wife retired two years ago, no three. She still works when she wants to as a consultant. She has a pension, I'll have Social Security and investments from both of us.
Medical insurance is a big concern-unknown. I hope the Medicare supplements won't be too bad.
Our financial guy says we will have a comfortable retirement as long as we are careful.
I hope he is right.
We don't owe anybody anything. I think that is very important.
Between work and home chores I get very little time in the shop.
\I can't wait for more time.

I really appreciate the kind words, and the encouragement. Like NC stated when the checks roll in, it will be easier I'm sure.

To all you younger guys who are reading this, please consider this advice.

The way to retire successfully is to get into the stock market in some way as early as you can. Unless you are a market whiz, this usually requires a professional to help you. Contact an investment house and start an account with them, then have someone advise you on a good balance of funds to invest in. Then commit to sending a portion of your income to this account every single month first, without fail, and learn to live on what's left over. Do not touch this money unless you are in dire straits. Investment income grows with time through compound interest; the more time, the more it grows and that growth is exponential. Once you send money into this account, consider it invisible, it's gone. When you need it, it will be there. Meet with your advisor at least annually to review and re-balance your account. Don't tell anyone about this money except your wife. If you need a reason for doing this, its because as the head of the household you are responsible for ensuring the financial future of your family - this is how you do that.

In addition to the above, if you have a 401K or similar vehicle through your employer, join and participate as soon as you qualify to do so. This is especially important if your employer matches contributions as most do. Matching means that your employer will match your contributions up to a certain limit; yes, this is free money they are giving you. Your 401K will consist of a small number of funds or bonds that you can choose from; your money will go into those choices in the proportion you choose. Most companies contract with an investment firm to run their 401K and there are usually advisors available to you to assist in choosing funds and spreading out your investments; please choose to work with them. Put as much of your income as you can afford into your 401K. This money will typically be tax-sheltered and will grow all the faster for it. You will pay taxes on it at the end, when you're an older guy who will likely be in a lower tax bracket so it works to your advantage. In the meantime, this money will grow exponentially; slow at first, faster at the end. It is possible to make way more money in the market than you do in your day job if you invested wisely for a long time and you stayed the course.

The market will go up and down. At times, the market will go down and you'll worry but as sure as the sun rises every day, the market will recover and you will regain your losses. Typically you will recover your losses in a few days BUT you cannot know which days they will be; if you pull out, you may miss those days and lock in your losses. The thing to do is not to react and pull your money out. Stay the course and you will get past any bad times in the market.

I do not recommend relying on a bank account to save money for the future; banks pay a fraction of 1% in interest while they make double digits using your money to invest for their profit. Do not do it. Use the stock market yourself.

It is not enough to think about this. At this moment in world economics, investing is the only real vehicle we have. Do not think about it - get off your butt and go see an advisor now, then move on your plan. The time to do this is as soon as you are able to do it, not when you're 10 years away from retirement. Again, it is the amount of time IN the market that makes the difference. If you happen to be that guy who is 10 years away from retirement, the law allows you to contribute more than usual during this phase so put all you can in your account and listen to your advisor.

I started investing when I was 35, the age when I actually began to earn a decent wage. Nobody gave me any advice but if they did, I would have hoped they told me what I just told you.

Last edited:
Watch out for Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) from your 401K, sneaks up on ya.

All what Mikey said.
I dont know if you can do this in the states but it reduced my mortgage by 60%.
Have all your wages paid every month/fortnightly into your mortgage account (except for the investment amount)
Then live frugally off your credit card, I found there was no need to go without anything.
Religiously pay off the credit card from the mortgage account every month or whatever your interest free duration on the card is.
This has the effect of reducing your mortgage principle loan in big chunks thus reducing the interest that has to be paid on the remainder.
In Oz this is called a mortgage offset account but the states may have a different name.
Money can be withdrawn at any time.
The down side is they may charge a slightly higher interest so do the sums.
caveat
I am not a financial adviser but it worked for me allowing me to buy two houses.

Back