Retractable Lathe Tool Holder

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While I was looking through some ads on eBay, I saw this retractable lathe tool holder for threading.

I guess the idea is at the end of the cut, you can quickly move the cutting edge away from the workpiece.

Does anyone have this? Like it? Worth the $$$?

s-l500.jpg

I've been meaning to make one for years. Handy to have, particularly in a tight spot, or when threading metric on an imperial lathe. Worth the dollars? As always it depends... (and you didn't mention how many dollars.)

If the one in the pic is yours I'd shorten that cutter quite a bit to reduce the stickout. Also grind the point on your conventional threading cutter as far to the left (headstock side) as possible. That will allow you to get as close as possible to a shoulder and maximize the utility of the device.

GsT

Don't own it. I just saw it on eBay for $210 for the buy it now price.

It's a knock off of how a Hardinge HLV-H threads . It saves from backing off the cross slide after each cut . A handy tool if you thread a lot and worth making if you could . :encourage:

I made one a ccouple yeas ago from some plans I found on the internet. I really like it. It saves time cranking the point in and out when moving the tool back to the start. Also was an interesting build because it contains an eccentric and dovetails. Learned a lot from making it.

While I was looking through some ads on eBay, I saw this retractable lathe tool holder for threading.

I guess the idea is at the end of the cut, you can quickly move the cutting edge away from the workpiece.

Does anyone have this? Like it? Worth the $$$?

View attachment 441834
I’ve not seen this before. Does someone have plans for one like this?

I don't know what it is about threading that makes people think that they have to make multiple moves faster than the speed of light at the end of the thread they are cutting. All you have to do is disengage the half nuts for imperial threads or stop the motor on metric threads. The tool bit can happily sit there cutting a groove. The groove won't have any affect on the thread. Then you can calmly do what you need to to make another pass.

If all you did was cut threads all day long and having this gizmo would let you cut more threads in a day then by all means get one. Or if you want a cool project to make then make one. Otherwise why spend the money on something that you really don't need.

Some lathes do not have a thread gauge for threading (That dial that goes around to let you know the orientation of the screw). With change gears can set the pitch for threading but can't release the screw because registration could be lost.

With that tool you can leave the drive screw engaged. At the end of the cut turn off the motor, retract the cutter and reverse the carriage, repeat. Keeping the screw engaged the whole time.

It also eliminates the step with usual threading of pulling back the cross slide then getting back to zero on the cross slide dial because you can withdraw the cutter. Just feed in with the compound.

I've seen some folks using a QCTP remove the tool at the end of the pass, feed back and then put it back on. That option is free.

Thank you Mr. Whoopee.

I couldn't find the post where a batch of these was offered for sale.
temp.jpg

Back