Retrofitting The "famous" Tb6560 Cnc Board

I retrofitted the TB6560 board that my robotics team has to the recycler. I tried the CNCZone fix, but the board had no change. It was not exactly the same as any of the boards I've seen in forums.

I didn't want to waste more time, so I picked up a Gikfun parallel port breakout ($20) and a SMAKN TB6600 driver ($15.50 x3) from Amazon to test out. It worked perfectly. No noise. No hot motor while sitting idle. Optical isolation properly done.

Avoid the TB6560 board. We have a new low-cost solution!

Well campsurge your board sounds promising!
But I've seen also quite a few problems with TB6600 boards see here and here.
The TB6600 boarsds seem to work but not without issues. The powerup and powerdown issue do not apply to the particular chip and as you mention they solved the opto-isolation issues, but talking from experience I still remain cautious of far east designs.
I could not find the schematic of the particular board you mention and I don't know if the issues found to similar designs are solved. If so then it is a fine (and cheap) board to use.

One thing that bothers me is the power dissipation of all these Toshiba chips (TBA 6560, TB6564, TB6600).
According to Toshiba datasheet the TB6600 can handle 4.5 A and 42 Volts. If you do the maths 4.5X42 gives you an impressive 189WATTs of power!
But if you look carefully at data sheet the chip can dissipate 40 Watts only with an INFINITE HEATSINK (there is no such thing).
That means for a regular heatsink it can dissipate circa half of that.
If you do the maths for 42 volts it is less than 0.5 Amps of power.

That bothers me...

POWER DISS.jpg

It's not the TB6600 ebay board you are thinking of. Check it out on Amazon!

To be completely honest I don't know for sure if is even a TB6600. I shot some photos and video of the board so I'll share them. This was meant for 3A 270 oz-in steppers on a Taig mill, so I'd still get better drives for larger motors.

Last edited:
It's not the TB6600 ebay board you are thinking of. Check it out on Amazon!

To be completely honest I don't know for sure if is even a TB6600. I shot some photos and video of the board so I'll share them. This was meant for 3A 270 oz-in steppers on a Taig mill, so I'd still get better drives for larger motors.

Well the ones in Amazon are:

SMAKN.jpg

And

SMAKN1.jpg

I bet they are both TB6600.

On the other hand I like your statement "It's not the TB6600 ebay board you are thinking of"! I suspect they are the same thing with the ebay ones.
If you open it please post a photo.

Regards

Petros

Back