Reusing pool pump motors

Dunc1

Active User
Registered
Got 2 identical pump/motor units free from a neighbor. Claims they work but pumps are shot. Motors are from Franklin Electric 208-230 volt, 1 phase, 1725/3450 rpm, 4.5/.5 hp, FLA 11.5/3.4, 56 frame, sf 1, date code C00, CAT 52019, MOD 1205006407. Label states they are wired for 230 volts.
The motor is used with a Waterway Insulated Wet End Pump, Model PF-40-2N22F.

Franklin does not include the motor on its website (at least, I could not find it). Waterway has no listings for this combo - similar, but not exact. Wiring hookups are not available.

Low speed
The power cable (no plug) contains 2 hot, 120 volt legs, a neutral & ground. Power line Neutral (white) goes to (motor) brown; power line red hot goes to (motor) black and power line black goes to (motor) blue.

High speed
The white(line in) goes to (motor) brown and red (line in hot) goes to (motor) black; this is identified as low speed on the motor spec plate. Strange, as it only applies 120 volts (neutral plus one hot leg).

Similarly, white (line in) goes to (motor) brown - as above - and black (line in) attaches to (motor) blue.Since this again connects neutral and the other (line in) hot
I see it as 120 volts, not 220-240.

The motor's junction box also contains a Franklin Electric Motor Start Switch. None of the leads attach directly to the power in lines (the start switch leads disappear inside the motor casing; there is no wiring diagram of internal connections.

If this is a 220-230 volt motor, why the neutral wire?
Why do both low- and high speed connections appear to use only 120 volts?
More to the point, how do I hook it up? My 220 volt supply is a 50 amp welding outlet - no neutral (wired directly from the service panel to my workshop). I could, if necessary, use an extension from the dryer to get the neutral but it would be inconvenient.

Any other websites that might provide hookup diagrams or info?

first thing i would check is if it has a usable shaft..

Yes, there is a useful shaft. I have removed the pumps.

I'm guessing the white wire is not really a neutral. My guess is that this motor was connected to an external 2 speed switch or timer. For this to work you would need one hot wire connected all the time and two wires switched, one for high speed and one for low. The white wire should have been marked with tape or other means to identify it as something other than a neutral. Since three wire cable marked black-white-red (+ground) is commonly available it is used for circuits like this but the white lead should be marked if it is not being used as a neutral.

My Dad was an electrician - he said rule #1 never ever trust another electrician

P.S.

Using your 50 amp dryer outlet for anything other than a quick test is unsafe and not a good idea.

I've two in the shop for over (15) years. One on an older Craftsman table saw, the other modified with a drill chuck for wire wheels, buff wheels, ETC.
My Cousin's family did pools and he'd pass them on. With the one I had to soak the bearings but it's been running fine - check those.
I just checked the one on the saw and the tag looks like it was added by the pool supply mfg. so franklin might not have it listed.

_Dan

Got 2 identical pump/motor units free from a neighbor. Claims they work but pumps are shot. Motors are from Franklin Electric 208-230 volt, 1 phase, 1725/3450 rpm, 4.5/.5 hp, FLA 11.5/3.4, 56 frame, sf 1, date code C00, CAT 52019, MOD 1205006407. Label states they are wired for 230 volts.
The motor is used with a Waterway Insulated Wet End Pump, Model PF-40-2N22F.
<.................................>

Check this out, shows Residential & Light Commercial: http://www.franklin-electric.com/information-library.aspx?id=1066

I'm guessing the white wire is not really a neutral. My guess is that this motor was connected to an external 2 speed switch or timer. For this to work you would need one hot wire connected all the time and two wires switched, one for high speed and one for low. The white wire should have been marked with tape or other means to identify it as something other than a neutral. Since three wire cable marked black-white-red (+ground) is commonly available it is used for circuits like this but the white lead should be marked if it is not being used as a neutral.

My Dad was an electrician - he said rule #1 never ever trust another electrician

P.S.

Using your 50 amp dryer outlet for anything other than a quick test is unsafe and not a good idea.

Unfortunately white does not mean grounded conductor ("neutral") in NEMA color coding. See page 8 of this document:

http://bradleysmotors.com/PDFs/Terminal_Markings_and_Motor_Connections.pdf

I believe the original poster was talking about a wire external to the the motor not internal.

In that case I agree with you. When I have to use a white wire as an ungrounded current-carrying conductor I blacken all visable parts of it with Magic Marker.

Yes we can reuse them. I have been using it for long time but there should be proper maintenance for the pumps and motors on monthly basis. It will increase the age of the equipment.

Last edited:
Back