Reverse thread die

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Does such a thing exist?
I need to make a new belt tension rod for my South Bend 10K. The rod that I need to shorten is reverse threaded as it screws into one side of a turnbuckle.
I’ll admit that I haven’t tried looking for such a die yet.
Edit: guess I should have done a bit of Google-fu first. Colour me embarrassed!

David

Some ideas:

Some ideas:

Thank you sir!

David

"Left Hand" dies and taps certainly exist. They tend to be a little more costly than "Right Hand", but available from many sources. Usually the same sources that carry "normal" sets will have them. Years back I acquired 3/8-16 left and right taps and dies for making turnbuckles. The idea struck my fancy at the time so I bought a set of Nr-4 to 1/4 inch to go along with the 3/8-16.

A loonnngggg time back I had a Dodge automobile that had left hand lug nuts on one side of the car. Chrysler has since dropped the idea, but junk salvage yards are a source for 1/2-20 nuts in large quantities from older Chrysler cars. I acquired a goodly supply at one time, although 1/2-20 is very large for my shop. They are large, tapered on one end, but still useful on tractor implements and the like.

Some above posts list some sources. There are less expensive sources, all the way down to Chinese epoxy and toilet paper taps. Look around your usual sources, asking for "left hand" threads. As an aside, I also have 1/2 and 5/8 Acme left hand taps. They were acquired for a "cost plus" job many years back and are stored waxed up in a tool box. But there should the need ever arise.

So far I’ve been able to single point all the LH threads I’ve needed on the lathe. Because you can cut them left to right, it’s even easier than RH threads.

Or, you can cut to the chase, and buy a turnbuckle that meets your needs. It shouldn't have to be too substantial for belt tension.

Sure, right next to the board stretcher. Turns any bolt back into a rod;)

Some years ago we had a long-duration paint stripping process going on at the same time the site was open to the public. Visitors could stop and see the actual process if they so chose. The typical question usually began with "...hey, what are you doing up there...?" well before the person had actually taken time to read the info panel. One day a little girl was really on top of her game and before anyone else could answer butted in with "He's unpainting it, Mom!..."

-f

Or, you can cut to the chase, and buy a turnbuckle that meets your needs. It shouldn't have to be too substantial for belt tension.
The lack of substantantial turnbuckles is what prompted me to acquire the means to make my own. All I could find were for doors and such. The really big ones for trucks were 5/8 screws, the rest were aluminium. I needed one for a small tractor, the one on it was 10mm. The other had been lost by some previous owner. So I ended up making one. The raw aluminium might look alright on a sailboat but wasn't going to hold up for small tractor draught gear.

Back