Reversing a single phase 120 V motor

Jimbir

Registered
Registered
First, thanks for letting me join this group.
I have an old Delco motor with four leads, two of them are line in and the other two are red and connected to terminals on the motor. The nameplate on the motor says "to change the rotation Reverse the two red wires". I'd like to control this motor with a double pole double throw center off switch. Can someone send me a diagram showing how to wire this combination?

Thanks, Jim Birke

Lathe Delco motor terminals.jpg

Lathe Delco motoer nameplate.jpg

Hi Jim,
A toggle switch would connect like this, jumper wires needed between 2,5 and 1,6
You may need a second switch to turn the motor on and off
Mark

Last edited:
Line in wires as per your photo, left side posts
Also you should be using a 3-wire power cord, 3rd ground wire connects to a motor housing screw
M
ps you need to extend the red wires as long as necessary to reach the toggle. Same with the posts connections.
If the motor does not stop with switch in center position you will need a second switch to remove power to the motor

If that is an instant-reversing motor you need to use caution, if this is for a lathe (chuck can loosen when spun in reverse)
Mark

I would recommend a separate ON / OFF switch, rather than a single three position centre off switch. Just incase when turning it off quickly you didn't go into reverse.

Also a good point about chuck attachment. I know my Atlas 618 will spin the chuck off If I am not careful.

David

Since you don't use reverse very often, I'm thinking (not my strong suit) a spring-loaded tab that would prevent you from switching into reverse until you lifted it. Along the lines of the hooded prop feather switches on an airplane.

Or something like this? Got this switch cover from Radio Shack, before they went belly up. I'm pretty sure you can still get them from electronics suppliers. Grainger has them for $6.34:

Back