Reversing feed without reversing the spindle. 8x12 HF

jimisbell

Active User
Registered
My last lathe wasbuilt in 1885, but I could reverse the feed direction without reversing the spindle direction.

Has anyone modified the HF to do this??

The 7x mini lathes have a fwd-Neut-Rev lever for the lead screw, so yes.

Chuck

There is an extra gear that has a bolt and bushing installed in it that needs to be installed. It should it listed somewhere in the manual, but I haven't looked for it, at work.

Looked at the manual on line here's what it says:

The Gear Box is composed of the change gears, shaft bolt, fixing shaft bolt, and square
nut. The change gear box is fixed on the left support of the leadscrew (101). To cut threads,
select the proper change gears for the desired thread type (see Thread Formula Table), and
engage with approximately 0.1 mm tolerance. Tighten Screw (835).SKU 44859 Page 8
The Fixed Shaft Bolt (825) under the spindle is used for right hand cutting and threading.
The set of Fixed Shaft Bolts in the accessory kit is used in combination with the original set
of Shaft Bolts to reverse the rotation of the long leadscrew for left-handed threading and
cutting.

Look at the section in the manual that has the parts listed in the above specifically 825 and it's associated parts.
Bob

OK, I found the gear in the schematics. The text was under the heading "Threading" and that wasnt where I was expecting it to be. But I wish it didnt take disassembling the lathe to switch. On my antique lathe there was a lever on the cradle that switched directions, UP for leading in to the chuck and DOWN for leading away from the chuck.

I wonder if anyone has ever made a mod to the HF 8x12 to do something like that?

There is a huge posting on another site to install tumbler gears on 7&8 lathes. I can not look for it at the moment.
Pierre

Just knowing they are called "tumbler gears" isall I need to find the threads. Thanks. Most of the time all I need is a hint because I dont know the terminology.

Back