Revised Vise

oskar

Registered
Registered
Since I haven’t been able to decide which vise I should buy, I have revised my home made vise using this time a Swivel Base 1/4"-20 nut I noticed on the KBC tools catalogue.

Now the vise is sturdier and I have glued sandpaper at the bottom / top pieces where the 1”x 1” aluminum block sits for a better grip. The only problem I have, actually an inconvenience, the piece where the swivel base nut rest is loose since I haven’t been able to figure a way to secure it in place. This means when I loose the bolt holding everything together the aluminum block and the piece under the nut are falling off.

Do you know a way to secure the nut or perhaps I’m using the wrong nut?

14 Revised Vise.JPG

If you want the jaw to follow the bolt as you turn you need to drill and tap a hole in the center of the top jaw going thru to the center of the jaw bolt tapped hole. Then cut a groove in the adjusting bolt at the spot where the tapped hole you drilled in the jaw is. Then cut a diameter on a set screw to correspond to the groove you put in the bolt. Screw it in , until it seats in the bottom of the groove and back it out just a tad, and lock that screw in with another set screw on top.

I did this on my previous setup but thought the Swivel base nut would provide a better hold and it does except the inconvenience of not following the jaw

Back