Reviving a 15x30 Leblond

Jasteven

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, new member here, trying to make this breif, as I have a long winded nature. I am a once before full-time machinist, returning to the field , this time on my own time/dime, in my own hobby shop. Iv purchased several pieces of equipment recently, but the most recent being a 1970 model year Leblond Regal Servo Shift 15x30. Leblond , being super helpful, sent over the original purchasing/build documents. This is a one owner machine, purchased by a trade school, then purchased by myself. Further inspection has gone rather well, so far no mechanical issues within the headstock, but yet to be powered

This lathe uses a 208v 3ph Delco motor, 60HZ. In leblonds documents, they state 208v plus or minus 10%. Iv recently powered my Microcut 1050 manual mill using a VFD for the first time, but this lathe has a more complex design and unsure if a VFD can be used, or is a rotary phase converter is a better option

Can 220v 3ph be used to power the motor?

Has anyone used a VFD for phase conversion on a servo shift lathe?

Iv found a used rotary phase converter locally, 1ph to 3ph, but is a 7.5hp model. Can a 7.5hp model be used for a 5hp model?

Attachments

• 15654028979471049963698616473885.jpg
    15654028979471049963698616473885.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 103
A rotary would certainly work well (use the two real power legs to supply the control transformer). The 220V will be fine for the 208V motor. The 7.5HP rotary will have no trouble with the 5HP lathe motor.

I ran a 5HP RPC to supply ~8 various machines - for over 30 years. The 5HP RPC had no trouble starting my 5HP air compressor, but the 5HP lathe did not start well (after ~3 starts - depending on what chuck and how high a gear - then the thermal overload in the RPC would trip). The beauty of the RPC is that it is a whole shop solution - when you get more machines, you can just keep plugging them in. The 7.5HP RPC would likely be a very good fit - not to big for your residential service and would start the lathe quite nicely.

Let us know how you make out. David

I had a pair of the identical lathe years back . The servo shifts worked great although I've read lately they can be troublesome . If I remember correctly they have the L0 spindle ? I think I still have my collet chuck from them . Congrats on the lathe and welcome to the site . You're not far from my property up there , Little Falls NY and Doldgeville .

A rotary would certainly work well (use the two real power legs to supply the control transformer). The 220V will be fine for the 208V motor. The 7.5HP rotary will have no trouble with the 5HP lathe motor.

I ran a 5HP RPC to supply ~8 various machines - for over 30 years. The 5HP RPC had no trouble starting my 5HP air compressor, but the 5HP lathe did not start well (after ~3 starts - depending on what chuck and how high a gear - then the thermal overload in the RPC would trip). The beauty of the RPC is that it is a whole shop solution - when you get more machines, you can just keep plugging them in. The 7.5HP RPC would likely be a very good fit - not to big for your residential service and would start the lathe quite nicely.

Let us know how you make out. David
Thanks Chipper, always nice when you receive all your answers in one response, and exactly the answer you were hoping for. I appreciate that. Ill pickup that RPC, and keep you guys posted

I had a pair of the identical lathe years back . The servo shifts worked great although I've read lately they can be troublesome . If I remember correctly they have the L0 spindle ? I think I still have my collet chuck from them . Congrats on the lathe and welcome to the site . You're not far from my property up there , Little Falls NY and Doldgeville .
Hey MMC, We are very close by, I live just outside of Rome NY, I was just in Little Falls this afternoon on the Harley, out for a ride in between rain showers. Looking through the documents leblond sent over, yup your right, L0 Spindle Nose.I have nothing for this lathe yet, except for A toolholder, with a cutoff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190809-204416.png
    Screenshot_20190809-204416.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Welcome. I have the same lathe, only a longer bed. Wonderful machine.

I had a bit of trouble with the servo shift, but a bit of maintenance solved the issue. I use it on a RPC. It would be a waste to put a VFD on it.

I got manuals and a bit of knowledge on this unit, if you ever need help.

Karl

Welcome. I have the same lathe, only a longer bed. Wonderful machine.

I had a bit of trouble with the servo shift, but a bit of maintenance solved the issue. I use it on a RPC. It would be a waste to put a VFD on it.

I got manuals and a bit of knowledge on this unit, if you ever need help.

Karl

Thanks Karl,

Thank you guys for the welcoming. Iv been members of several large forums over the years between my Harley's, Jeep's, Cummins, and Snowmobiles, but Hobby machinist is giving off a more personable experience vibe. I appreciate that. My fingers are crossed that the machine operates the way it is supposed to, as iv read about the pretty costly issues folks have run into with the servo shift. It's great to have a place to come for help, many other forums have a tendency to deliver criticism. I have a mechanical background, being with automotive, but a sereval years spent on manuals, Cnc, and a large portion on EDM , but the two backgrounds have never crossed paths, 'machinist-mechanic'. I crave new hobbies, and reviving these machines is making the list.

Thank you karl

Say, most of my maintenance fell under thorough cleaning, tightening loose electrical connections, cleaning contacts, changing oil, new filters, etc. You may want to do this just as a good PM procedure. All this was making it flakey to detect "0" speed for gear shifter pump to come in.

My other issue was low oil pressure on the shifter pump - just wear and age. You might want to check pressure here - needs to be 300 PSI when trying to shift. Kind of cheap skate the way they control pressure - drilled hole in the oil line fitting. I got a new fitting and drilled a smaller hole.

I am going to bet that 95% of shifting issues lie in the above items.

Hey MMC, We are very close by, I live just outside of Rome NY, I was just in Little Falls this afternoon on the Harley, out for a ride in between rain showers. Looking through the documents leblond sent over, yup your right, L0 Spindle Nose.I have nothing for this lathe yet, except for A toolholder, with a cutoff.

My plan was to retire down here and finish my career up at Remington . That may be changing though . I'm going to follow along with you ! ( usually on during the wee hours of the night ) :encourage:

I have 45 acres up in Stratford in the park and get up there quite often . I may be coming up on Monday to rescue my 0 turn and 4 wheeler . How's the weather up there , it seems I always bring the rain with me .

Very interesting! All which I will look into Karl.

Spent all day yesterday figuring out some way to move the lathe 30ft across my shop, through a series of very sketchy situations and positions lol. Using a 1 ton engine hoist, setting the lathe on half ton Wooden dollies, and floor Jacks, with a come'aloung anchored to the wall to get it moving. I'm amazed it worked, and amazed I pulled it off on my own.

I am leaving at noon today, for a 1.5hr ride out towards MMC's direction, to the other side of Amsterdam to pick up my new Rotary Phase Converter. Thrilled to test the new equipment out

How's the weather up there , it seems I always bring the rain with me .

Well, typical NYS weather.... I love the seasons, although we would be perfectly fine if the snow didn't find its way home this year. Temps are falling quick, for August, hunting seasons around the corner, one of my many hobbies.

Back