Revolver speed loader

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Thinking about making a 500 magnum speed loader out of alum. Have any of you ever made a speed loader for a revolver or have/willing to share any info on making one.

Find a design you like and scale it to fit your needs. I would think the machining ops would be relatively straight forward.

Yah, I'd really like to get a good look at inside the speed loader.....the part that releases the rounds. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in this endeavor

Yah, I'd really like to get a good look at inside the speed loader.....the part that releases the rounds. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in this endeavor
There are different mechanisms, depends on the type. The old safariland speed loaders were simple and used six ball detents on a shaft that rotated 1/12 of a turn to lock the balls. Nobody uses those anymore with the longer push-release types that are all plastic and very fast to handle, though. I agree with @seasicksteve, pick a design and scale it to your cylinder. Should be a fun project!

5x-500
I'd really like the 5x-500 but I want to look inside it without having to buy it or get a look at another one ( the insides) and make a bigger one. I agree it should'nt be too hard to make one.... but i want to be able to see the inside to see exactly how it works without buying one

Making a speed loader for a 500 magnum would be challenging to say the least. I look forward to your progress.

The first time I used a speed loader was during one of the many competitions I got involved in at my club.
They were quite clunky at first but I soon got comfortable with them.

The older I get the more I like revolvers and 1911's. The plastic guns just don't get me all warm and fuzzy. I do have a CZ Rami in 40 Cal. All steel pistol, no plastic.
I sure do miss my model 19, K frame, S&W 38 Special. It was my favorite revolver. My dad had a Ruger Black Hawk in 45 Colt. That was sweet too.
Great shooters.

Still got my model 19. I used to use speedloaders all the time...I even have 3 s&w model 68s.....ever hear of those?

The class rules for revolver in IDPA suck, they created a niche for 6-round .38 cals with 2" bbls, and that's IT. USPSA is better, but revolver is still a niche and very competitive. The GP100 dominates with moon clips and .40S&W or 10mm major, but the S&W 9mm 8-shot revolver is the one to beat in minor, which is eclipsing major in the nats and worlds lately. I never got a match rig for revolver set up because it was too specialized.

Revolvers are safer, simpler, and more reliable than pistols. They have the "look" they need for defense, no doubt. I am plenty fine with only 6 rounds, unlike most folks I know. I seem to be one of the only people to heed Boston T. Party's line, "A rifle is what you bring to a gunfight. A pistol is what you use if you're caught in one while you're getting to your rifle."

In other words, I'm not planning to stay in a gunfight long enough to need two 19-round mags!

Back