Reworking the shop.

mwhite

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. This weekend I started a much needed and long overdue rework of my shop. The old building is not much but it is mine. It's an old 2X4 frame 25X30 mechanic/welding/ machine shop. I've got the first wall insulated ,walled in and painted. I'm going to finish the inside first then install new metal on the outside. Hopefully it will go well, the old building was here when I bought the place.

IMG_20190101_122256988.jpg

IMG_20190105_142258926.jpg

IMG_20190106_110411274_HDR.jpg

Keep us up to date on your project. I like your avatar. I am retired after 10 years with the operating engineers followed by 26 years with IAM, now a retired life member. Living the dream...

Keep us up to date on your project. I like your avatar. I am retired after 10 years with the operating engineers followed by 26 years with IAM, now a retired life member. Living the dream...
I am a current member of the IAM. Local 791. As a mechanic/ machineist for a major US railroad I fall under their umbrella.

Reactions: Z2V
I was a parts guy for trucks, heavy equipment, cars, and everything else. Never ran a machine tool. Go figure. Still, I loved the work, and being around some very good mechanics and machinists I got to learn quite a bit about it by being interested and asking questions. A couple decades before retirement I started adding machinery and tooling to my then low tech home shop.

I was a parts guy for trucks, heavy equipment, cars, and everything else. Never ran a machine tool. Go figure. Still, I loved the work, and being around some very good mechanics and machinists I got to learn quite a bit about it by being interested and asking questions. A couple decades before retirement I started adding machinery and tooling to my then low tech home shop.
Hey, a good parts man is priceless. Parts can make or break any repair operation. I've been a mechanic for the last 30 years. My background is in auto repair but for the last several years I've been a equipment mechanic. I, like you have a thirst for knowledge about machine tools. Precision has long been a goal of mine. I find it a challenge and enjoy learning.

We have the second wall finish on the shop project. I framed in a 14' door that was falling down. Double insulated the walls. A carpenter I am not. Thank goodness for good friends. It's coming along nicely. Just need to figure out what to do about sealing the gaps around the bay door. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan to spray foam the inside of the door when I do the ceiling.

IMG_20190112_132552144.jpg

IMG_20190111_131225648.jpg

IMG_20190113_101444144.jpg

IMG_20190112_112248447.jpg

Can't really see the area around the door all that well, but I'm guessing they're hinged and open out from the center?

First thing that occurs to me is some vinyl garage door weatherstripping. Nails to the framing and there's a vinyl flap that covers the gap between the framing and the door. WAY better than the "brush" type weather stripping they put on my overhead doors.

Vinyl garage door seals at Home Depot

Can't really see the area around the door all that well, but I'm guessing they're hinged and open out from the center?

First thing that occurs to me is some vinyl garage door weatherstripping. Nails to the framing and there's a vinyl flap that covers the gap between the framing and the door. WAY better than the "brush" type weather stripping they put on my overhead doors.

Vinyl garage door seals at Home Depot
Yes sir, The doors are angle iron and open in the middle. The largest gap is about 3/4" and it's at the bottom of the door. I believe that the seals in your link are worth a try. Thank you

Great work on the walls. What do you plan to do for the ceiling? Most of your heat loss OR gain is thru the lid, ya know?

Back