RF 30/31 Milling machine rebuild

Sorry about pulling up an old thread. Have you put an indicator on the column yet? If it’s like mine, the column probably isn’t the problem, so skipping the epoxy fill in that area might not matter. It’s the base flexing at or near the 4 column bolts. Like many others, my column easily deflects .005” when pushing up on the head, and another .005” when pushing down. I keep hearing the .010” doesn’t matter, it still will get the job done for a hobbyist. I’m not buying it. Lol.
No, I haven't tried an indicator. I can tell lifting the head changes the tram so to me there's not much reason. From what I can tell simply raising the head might change it as much as .020". Having said that I have retramed and had no issues. I don't know how much the column might be flexing, but I was told at one point that most of the 'column flex' was from the top of the base flexing and not the column itself. I have no idea. I would be interested. I might have to give it a try just to see. I'll try to check it indicating on the column itself and report back.

Scott

Back