RF-30 Chip Guard/Leadscrew Cover

bob12345

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

My Do'er upper RF-30 did not come with the rubber/material cover that bolts between the column and y axis, though I do have the brackets though.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the original, I need to order something to replace it with and some ball park dimensions will save me from over/under ordering?

I was thinking one of those cheapo silicone sheets would be pretty resilient, but if anyone has a better suggestion I'd be grateful to hear it.

The mudflap needs to be wide enough to cover what you want to cover, and still have enough slack in its length to be out of your way when the table is at full travel towards the operator.

Silicone would be good for a lot of reasons, but many silicone polymers absorb oil and turn to gum. Check its resistances before you order material. Rubber and urethane are good, so if you have a treadmill belt or thin conveyor belt that would work nice too.

my mudflap was totally rotted away when I got mine. I had a bunch of neoprene sheeting left over from my packing house days so I used that. Works great so far, better than the old rubber. Just measured and it appears to be 12”x12”. If I was going to do it again I’d make it mount up to the top of the base and as wide as the table. Even the width it is now somehow swarf defies gravity and still gets on the ways and in that hole where the lead screw it. But if it was the width of the mill table it would also keep the swarf from going all over the table the RF30 is mounted to. YMMV.

I used shower pan liner.
I did, too. It's worked pretty well, and lasted a goodly while. Pretty cheap at Home Depot, etc. Resists cutting fluids, too. And it does reasonably well with hot chips.

I ordered a 1/25" sheet of silicone rubber on Amazon for $9. They're 12x12 and I trimmed it.

A few projects in it is holding up well.

Back