RF-30 Clone Head Alignment Guide

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but how well does this support keep the tram when cranking the column up and down?

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but how well does this support keep the tram when cranking the column up and down?
By tram do you mean nod or tilt?
Or do you mean hold position relative to the work?

If you install this alignment guide, if you were tram the head to the table at a "lower" Z then crank the head up, is your spindle still true to the table? Or does it need to be trammed again?

The "alignment" is to maintain where the head is on the round column or what they call register. It has nothing to do with nod or tram.

If you install this alignment guide, if you were tram the head to the table at a "lower" Z then crank the head up, is your spindle still true to the table? Or does it need to be trammed again?
I have not noticed any difference in tram after raising and lowering the head. But I also would not expect to see any difference as the alignmnet guide simply prevents the head from turning as it is raised or lowered.

If moving the head up or down screws up your tram, you have a bent column.

But, I don't think that is what you want to know. Maybe your question is, "Does this modification keep the quill aligned with the hole I just bored?" Just to help you out:

Heh, guys. When moving the head up or down, how well will this modification keep the quill aligned with the hole I just bored?

If moving the head up or down screws up your tram, you have a bent column.
not necessarily. The column base might not be parallel to the table and you can shim the base to get nod and tram within tolerance.

not necessarily. The column base might not be parallel to the table and you can shim the base to get nod and tram within tolerance.
Thank you, this was specifically what I was wondering. Maybe I should rephrase my question:

After installing this (or other similar) column reference position lock on their head, has anyone had any issues with nod or tilt* being off after adjusting head height by unclamping/cranking/re-clamping the head?

Shimming the base to dial in tram is a pain in the ass and I notice my tram measurement sometimes drifts a few thou after adjusting moving the head along the column. I think this may be due to slight rotation about the column while raising/lowering. If I can find a consistent way to be able to move the head vertically while maintaining my spindle tram, I'd be over the moon. X and Y position lock is a huge plus, but I have an edgefinder and know how to use it so it's not as big of a deal.

Thank you, this was specifically what I was wondering. Maybe I should rephrase my question:

After installing this (or other similar) column reference position lock on their head, has anyone had any issues with nod or tilt* being off after adjusting head height by unclamping/cranking/re-clamping the head?

Shimming the base to dial in tram is a pain in the ass and I notice my tram measurement sometimes drifts a few thou after adjusting moving the head along the column. I think this may be due to slight rotation about the column while raising/lowering. If I can find a consistent way to be able to move the head vertically while maintaining my spindle tram, I'd be over the moon. X and Y position lock is a huge plus, but I have an edgefinder and know how to use it so it's not as big of a deal.
Notice I said in tolerance. I have learned about myself I make more mistakes in my setup and procedures than my cheap CNC vise or my tired old RF30. I have learned to deal with not getting too riled up about perfection as it doesn’t exist on this plane. If I get within a thou or two it’s time for celebration. If not it was a lesson learned. I KNOW the silly guy who owned the RF30 before went down that rabbit hole of tramming that column and it’s not perfect. But it seems to kick out great work when I don’t have myself all in knots. YMMV.

Back