RF-30 CNC conversion: where to start?

bradleyrobertc

Registered
Registered
I want to convert my RF-30 mill to CNC and I don’t have the money for a full CNC conversion kit. I’ll be doing this one piece at a time. Where do I look for information? How to mount stepper motors? What to buy first? Lots of questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3f3cf8f9b72087f569736e9601067481.jpg

Got the old Compaq out of the attic and installed Mach3. First step done!

My motors and controllers came in and I gutted an old computer for a control box. What size belt pulleys do I need to run the Z axis? I plan on direct coupling the X & Y axis when I get the ball screws. Is a 10mm belt wide enough for the Z axis or is 15mm necessary?
29ae71bdee8099112c7cb03072d9f233.jpg

There was a writeup done a number of years ago by 5 bears cnc where he documented the conversion of a Rong Fu mill to servo-drive CNC using surplus parts. Might be up your alley.

There was a writeup done a number of years ago by 5 bears cnc where he documented the conversion of a Rong Fu mill to servo-drive CNC using surplus parts. Might be up your alley.

Anyone know where this is at? Looks like his website is down.

I did a little digging, and 5 bears took his site down. Too bad, it was a very complete conversion how-to. I bet if you dig around pinterest, you'll find some of his pics.

How thoroughly it works on any given website can be a bit inconsistent, but the Wayback machine can help find things like this if you know the address of the site that is no longer active.

Click in the bar chart on the different years and you can pick the specific date to look at the site from when it was archived.

Back