RF-30 parts help

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm hoping Nicholas can help. In the past I've ordered parts for my rf30 from Grizzly but I can't seem to catch when they have the X halfnut in stock. Then I started worrying that I think their clone is Chinese and maybe the halfnut isn't the same thread pitch. And what a mess it would be to wait all this time and get the wrong part.

The only other dealer seems to be MSC and they don't seem to offer parts. The Rong Fu site is geared towards selling whole machines. I've sent a contact email so I guess I'll see where this goes. My halfnut was loose for who knows how long before I took it apart and cleaned the lead screw and got the halfnut bolted back down. It was pretty much at the end of the end of the adjustment and seems to wearing fast even though it's not come loose again.

I'm hoping Nicholas can help. In the past I've ordered parts for my rf30 from Grizzly but I can't seem to catch when they have the X halfnut in stock. Then I started worrying that I think their clone is Chinese and maybe the halfnut isn't the same thread pitch. And what a mess it would be to wait all this time and get the wrong part.

The only other dealer seems to be MSC and they don't seem to offer parts. The Rong Fu site is geared towards selling whole machines. I've sent a contact email so I guess I'll see where this goes. My halfnut was loose for who knows how long before I took it apart and cleaned the lead screw and got the halfnut bolted back down. It was pretty much at the end of the end of the adjustment and seems to wearing fast even though it's not come loose again.

I wonder how difficult it would be to make one...
Edit: Apparently a member here did make one out of Acetal.

Last edited:
Thanks for finding and posting the link David. Very interesting read. It also brings out the fact that unless I get some kind of help from Rong Fu, the half nuts from Grizzley are kinda useless because I found out when I got the Y nut from Grizzley it's cast iron. My Y nut is not worn out yet so I didn't install it. And neither lead screw seems worn and both original half nuts are brass not cast iron.

But it seems X nut bolts coming loose is a thing and them being loose and the previous owner didn't seem to take care of keeping the lead screw lubed so it did a job on it. But still the mill drill was made in '88. And it's been used.

I took the lead screw and table loose and moved it over. Pulled the half nut screw out and took a saw blade and cut the slit open and tightened up the adjuster. It took .010 off the slack so it has .030. Probably wear fast again.

I think I could make a new half nut but sure would be nice to have a drawing to go by instead of guessing.

How is the condition of the lead screw?

How is the condition of the lead screw?
Amazingly enough it looks good. It doesn't tighten up except at the very ends and I don't see changes in the slack.

Honestly I’d try making a nut out of Acetal.
Maybe buy a piece of the appropriate lead screw and go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i own a acra rf-31 and to my knowledge its exactly the same in all aspects to the rong-fu rf-31. **** honestly i think their made in the same factory,lol.
I just ordered a bunch of parts from Acra machinery in California. I googled rf-31 parts manual then downloaded the pdf.(its the same manual that comes with all these mills built in taiwan "Complex Machine". towards the end of the manual there's an exploded parts diagram with part numbers. I used those part numbers when I called Acra. I don't know if Acra makes a rf-30 but some of the parts might be the same on both models. I would give them a call and ask for Freddie 909-899-3000

Thanks zdiaz925. It is very possible it's the same maker. That would be a wonderful break. As far as anybody can see the 30 and the 31 are basically the same machine. Have you gotten a X half nut from Acra?

I have a Grizzly G1006/1007, nameplate says Taiwan produced in 6-2004.
From Research I think it’s an RF-31
I am the second or third owner.
I also have lots of play in my X travel. Y not so much.
I have tried to adjust out the play with a 4mm long allan wrench, the half nut will not budge either way.
To be fair I haven't taken the table apart yet, so do not know the condition of the halfnut?
The machine has been well used, but has been maintained & lubed, XYZ move very smooth and it works very well.
I’ll post anything else I discover.

There have been threads about the difference between the 30/31 and one said the part #'s are the same. The big problem is there are so many knock offs and it would seem deviants that were tagged as a 30, but just by looking at the column were not a RF30. I've also noticed a big difference in the X half nut. My Enco RF30 made in Taiwan in '88 not only has a brass X half nut, the halfnut is threaded. This means the attachment bolts go through the Y frame from the bottom and thread into the X halfnut. The Chinese knockoff the X halfnut is made of cast iron and bolts into the Y frame. This is crucial for several reasons, #1 being the Grizzly X halfnut wouldn't work. I believe I can also tighten my X halfnut bolts from underneath, where the Chinese style you have to pull the X table.

Back