RF 30 spindle pulley removal

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I need to get the spindle pulley off my Harbor Freight version of the RF 30. There's a big nut on top of the pulley. Do I just remove the nut and use a puller on the pulley?

I need to get the spindle pulley off my Harbor Freight version of the RF 30. There's a big nut on top of the pulley. Do I just remove the nut and use a puller on the pulley?

The pulley (aluminum) has a tapered bore so you may need to apply some heat to expand the pulley bore. Be careful about trying to force it off with a puller. You don't want to break it.

Mine came off with very little force with a puller.

Hey I'm just about to do this on my rf-30 as well.
Does the middle pulley just slide off or will I need to heat it up?

I'm just looking to get the huge cover off so I can maneuver the head back on to the column.

I'm with mikey on the puller I think I heated it a little with a hand held map torch but not much it should pop off there no problem. The center will pop off that bracket with a soft hammer.

Thanks guys. I just took the bracket off and that is enough for now.
The spindle pulley was on pretty tight but 5 min with the heat gun and it came right off.
Luckily I had a big socket that just barely fit that huge lock nut.

I've looked over ricks page quite a few times and may try that method if I can't get it this way. I have an engine hoist to help with lifting.

Back