[How-To] RF-30 X-axis Power Feed

CurlyDave

Registered
Registered
I got a new-to-me RF-30 at a garage sale recently. Taiwan made, and excellent condition, and now I would like to add an x-axis power feed.

The problem I have is that all of the ones I see on eBay say they are for a machine with a 5/8" lead screw shaft, and mine has a 17 mm lead screw shaft, which is 0.669". (I measured that diameter 3 times on one end of the lead screw and twice on the other. 2 different calipers, it came out the same every time.)

So, the big question is has anyone else ever had this problem? What model did you buy to make it work? Or should I just get one made for a 5/8" shaft and drill it out to 17mm?

I like the prices on the ALS ones I see on eBay, but if they aren't going to work it is just wasted money. I am not going to use this enough to justify a high priced one.

Would it be possible to bore the gear out? I had to do that to use a Servo feed on my Fray vertical mill.

Are you looking at the ones especially for the bench Mills like :

ive got one like that on my RF30 and can’t live without it.

I was looking at what I think is the same one, but from a different seller and a lower price.

Somehow the forum won't let me post a link because it think it is spam.

@CurlyDave there was another thread where a member found a power feed for less but it was a scam site. He’s since filed a claim with PayPal.
So the same product for less money may cost more In the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@CurlyDave there was another thread where a member found a power feed for less but it was a scam site. He’s since filed a claim with PayPal.
So the same product for less money may cost more In the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s true. At $275 it’s way cheaper than the ones for the B-ports. And believe me it only takes one real project and you’ll be tired (and sore) without one. It also make a better finish. I have two because I took the safety end travels off because i put a DRO on. Slipped up one day and somehow it was still going and went to end travel and burned up I thought. So bought another and took it down to my neighbor and he knew just what was wrong. It had gotten one of the brush holders hot. Fixed it, put new brushes in it and now I’m trying to figure how to mount it on Y. If it was one of the other type mounts I think it would be fairly easy.

Well that is interesting. I found 3 items on eBay and have sent messages to all of them asking about the 17 mm lead screw shaft issue. It looks like there are plenty of the higher price ones available, so I will just keep my credit card in my pocket until I get answers.

Do you happen to have a link to the other thread?

I have a Taiwanese RF-31 and installed an Align AL-500D on the X-axis. I don't recall even checking the diameter of the leadscrew; I just ordered it and it fit without a hitch. I know that doesn't answer your question but at least we know that the Align products will fit. While they may not be the cheapest option they have proven to be reliable among RF owners for the most part.

Update. I started off by ordering an ALSGS model AL-310SX US from thanks buyer-hobby on eBay for $242. This was the lowest I could find this model, and after a few emails they did answer my question and the final drive gear is bored to "about 17mm". BUT the day after I placed the order they told me they were out of this item (despite the web site saying they had 4 in stock) and more would be delayed in customs. With the recent US-China tensions, I wasn't willing to take a chance on how long this might take, so I asked for a refund, and both this China-based seller and eBay have sent emails saying I have a refund, but it has not yet hit my credit card. I am confident it will due to the eBay email. So even though their claims of having united available weren't right they do get a plus for honesty on the refund.

This sort of soured me on China-based vendors, even though I found another one at $252, the delivery time quoted was very long and I was afraid of a similar customs issue. So I ordered one from C-Bag's suggestion, Quality Machine Tools, who have many of them already in the US, so no customs issues. The price was $279, but there is also $24.95 for shipping.

UPS has already sent an email that it has been shipped, so we will see what happens.

After the crazy rigmarole I went through with a U3 tool grinder I won’t go the Chinese shipping route either. All you have to do is look in their store and see everything from soup to nuts to know machine tools and accessories are not their forte. It was months of back and forth and them alternating between being super accommodating and acting like they didn’t know what was going on. Never more. I’m afraid I see a trend where they say US supplier but hide the shipping address. Caveat Emptor.

Back