RF30 alignment guide build

I'm at 49.1388N 122.917W just across the water from you. On a clear night I can see the island from here.
Funny how we get cold at 5C while the rest of Canada is in the -10C territory. You might consider installing a used gas furnace in your shop. I put a 60k BTU in my double garage ($400) a few years ago and it gets toasty in just a few mins.
I too have the RF31 but I cannot recall the loss of position issue more than once or twice in the last 7 years, maybe cuz I used the drill press for most hole drilling.

I'm at 49.1388N 122.917W just across the water from you. On a clear night I can see the island from here.
Funny how we get cold at 5C while the rest of Canada is in the -10C territory. You might consider installing a used gas furnace in your shop. I put a 60k BTU in my double garage ($400) a few years ago and it gets toasty in just a few mins.
I too have the RF31 but I cannot recall the loss of position issue more than once or twice in the last 7 years, maybe cuz I used the drill press for most hole drilling.

Well howdy neighbour! :)
I have electric overhead radiant heaters which work great. I just hadn’t set them back up after I renovated the shop interior.

Switching from milling to drilling is definitely a challenge because of the amount of z height the drill chuck takes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been waiting for these to show up so I can proceed with the build.
Very impressed, brass bushing with zero perceptible play. Six for $35
6e6232ea870b0e2c467d19a914c7f066.jpg

I have never used a drill press type chuck on my round column mill/drill. If I am just drilling holes I use one of my drill presses. On the mill I do everything with ER32 collets. After setting the head height using the Lazy Machinist's longest tool method I have never had to move the head to change tooling.

I have never used a drill press type chuck on my round column mill/drill. If I am just drilling holes I use one of my drill presses. On the mill I do everything with ER32 collets. After setting the head height using the Lazy Machinist's longest tool method I have never had to move the head to change tooling.

I must not have the correct range of collet sizes because I can’t use the majority of my drill bits in my ER32 collets.

I must not have the correct range of collet sizes because I can’t use the majority of my drill bits in my ER32 collets.

A full set (19-20 pcs) should clamp anything within their range. I have ER25 and 32 sets that will clamp anything within their range

No significant progress other than buying the 1/2” iron pipe and ordering an
M11-1.5 tap (and a bunch of other things) from KBC.
Need to turn the plugs for the pipe but the only stock I have that is large enough is 12L14 which I’ve read is not great to weld due to the lead content.

Took today off to run errands and get in some shop time.

Finished up the collar for the mill.
a72cc01dbcbffab0e8ca148fc7fc7a2f.jpg

Made the four threaded plugs for the stabilization tubes. All set to be TIG welded on.
08c07eaa6fdca820a055560b1f5e1b7a.jpg

Back